Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 27, 2010, 1:05 AM   #1

Default T1i bundles on eBay a good deal? Other options?

Maybe this is the wrong board to be asking this on, I'm looking at jumping into the world of DSLRs, and I think I've just about decided on going with the Canon T1i, and I've been kindof investigating ways to go about doing this.

One way is to obviously buy the body or kit, and then hunt for accessories. The benefit in this is that I would get everything I want and no more, the downside being (potentially, anyway) a higher cost, at least relative to the other option I'm considering.

That other option being deals on eBay such as this one, where they just throw an inordinate amount of (probably useful) stuff at you for a seemingly cheaper if not random price. This is rather tempting, seeing as there are a lot of things in there that, if of reasonable quality, I would love to have (bags/cases, tripods, the extra lens of course, filters, etc.).

So basically, I guess what I'm trying to ask here is what would be the best avenue in your most definitely respected opinions (I've been reading around these boards for awhile just gathering info on DSLRs in general)?

And just I suppose since this info would be useful, things I'm most interested in shooting are: outdoor scenery (especially on vacations such as Mexico or Ireland I'm planning soon), macro shots (though I probably won't be buying a macro lens just yet, because I'll want to make sure I get a fantastic one when that time rolls around), and then just of course general pictures that catch my eye when I've got the camera on me.

Thanks in advance for your time!
cjp87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2010, 2:28 AM   #2

well the camera and the 2 lenses are good right now it is 1025 dollars, so are the lowepro, pouches, card reader, cap keeper, screen protector, clean kit, but these items are about 70 bucks all together if that. The bag is 45 dollars, the pouch may be 5 buck, card reader is 5 dollars, cap keepr 4 dollars, clean kit 5 dollars. No clue how good those add on lenses are, but they look like they will work fine made in japan.

Doubt you need an al case or even use it.

The flash, tripods, and the filters looks like cheapo stuff. The filters are most likely no name from china, most likely degrade imagine actually. You will want a dedicated flash with ettl that will focus with the camera setting.

They are no name cards, not sure if they are even class 4 card, which you will need for HD video and burst shooting. And canon recommends class 6 for hd video.

The battery charger, battery, straps, cables, and cd comes with the t1i.

Hope that helps
Old Jan 27, 2010, 4:04 AM   #3

In general, package deals are filled with junk. Be especially wary of anything labeled "Professional" or "Deluxe". You will have more use for, and will get better stuff, if you only buy the items you want and need, instead of buying a package that contains a few things you want plus a bunch of stuff of questionable quality and uncertain ancestry.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 9:40 AM   #4

That's exactly what I was worried about, thanks for the replies.

So, would you recommend those two lenses for starters, or would my money be better spent getting something else, assuming I buy separately? I'm thinking something similar to the kit lens (if not the kit lens itself), something with a good telephoto length, and a good ~50mm prime lens, on the recommendation of a good friend. Ideally, I'd like to keep the cost as close to $1,000 as possible, but I obviously recognize that with greater lenses come greater prices, so if that's not possible with quality pieces, then I understand that as well.

My philosophy on most purchases is to buy quality the first time, because otherwise I'll be left wanting more and end up spending more in the end. Plus better products lend themselves to making you want to use them more, both because of better quality and the notion of the looming investment you just made (which is why my first trumpet was a Bach Stradivarius, first guitar a Takamine, etc.).
cjp87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 11:06 AM   #5
Super Moderator

the kit lens (18-55is) and the 55-250is are both tremendous values. their optic quality is quite good and is a great start for anyone. and even if you buy more expensive lenses down the line, you will still be reaching for these 2 lenses when you want to travel light.

the 55-250 also does pretty well with its 1:3 macro/closeup. and you can add a 500d screw on closeup lens and do some quite amazing things with it.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 12:00 PM   #6

Unfortunately, it seems that the time to strike an amazing deal on this 2 lens kit has passed. Canon had a $200 rebate on this kit that ended on Jan 16th, and several vendors were pretty much including the 55-250mm lens in with the 18-55mm kit. I got mine from Costco of all places, which doesn't seem to carry this as a bundle anymore even at a higher price. Which is a shame as I was looking to get a 2nd kit for my wife. Similarly, Adorama and B&H also no longer sell this bundle. You can still, however, get the 18-55mm kit and add on the 55-250mm for around what shoturtle said. I once bought a kit from eBay which included a lot of the similar items included in yours. I called them up to see if they could customize a package for me as I didnt have the need for a lot of the other items. The sales rep straight out told me that it wouldnt be possible, because they get those "cheapy" items whole sale, and the stuff you get only costs them bout $10 total. So there wouldnt be much savings. Your train of thought is a good one about better products yielding better quality, as long as the product is reputable. More money means better quality a lot of times, but not always.

That being said, I highly recommend this setup. For an entry-level system with "value" lenses, it greatly exceeded my expectations.

Last edited by fbords; Jan 27, 2010 at 12:04 PM.
fbords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 12:55 PM   #7

While I agree that Canon's kit lens is very good and a very good deal, if you want to shoot macro but aren't interested in 1:1 macro, then you might want to look at the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 instead. It's as good or better than kit lenses, it's longer and wider, it's at least 2/3 stop faster, and it does 1:2.3 macro to boot. It's not stabilized like Canon's kit lens, but there's a stabilized version of the Sigma available as well, though it's only 1:2.7 macro.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote