Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 24, 2003, 8:29 PM   #1

Default EOS Rebel

Would this be a good camera for sports photography, especially in H.S. gyms for basketball and wrestling? thanks for any input.
NNDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2003, 6:46 PM   #2

yes - it would be better than any of the point and shoot cameras because it has such a low shutter lag. It's pretty good for taking rapid shots (especially when you shoot jpegs)

Obviously the 10D would be better - it costs more for a reason - a 10Dit would give you the advantage of a deeper buffer when shooting multiple frames in quick succession.

But if you were to take the difference in cost and buy better lenses you'd be better off.

A gym can be a pretty dark place (to a camera) and with fast moving action you'll need to keep the shutters speeds up. That means that you'll need to have a large aperature lens. I'd try to get a telephoto with at least a f4 aperature at the long end, preferably a f2.8.

A digital rebel with a 200 f2.8 lens would be a better option than a 10D with a 75-300 f4-5.6. You can buy IS lens to reduce vibration but I prefer a larger aperature (so I can increase shutter speed) to IS.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2003, 10:26 PM   #3

Another thing to consider is that a flash might help, but that is completely dependent on how close you can get. They have a finite range, and even the most powerful don't go much over 30 feet with just the right settings.

Another advantage of a 10D, which wasn't directly said is that it shoots more frames per second than the rebel. 3 fps vs. 2.5fps. doesn't sound like much, but combine that with the deeper buffer and you'd have a better chance at getting that amazing shot during a burst than otherwise.

But if you are strapped for cache, ursa is right. The faster lens & the rebel would work better for indoor shots of that nature.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2003, 11:28 AM   #4

I can get pretty close to the basketball action (along the baseline). I've heard different reports on the 18-55 lens that comes with the camera. Your thoughts? Thanks for your help.
NNDman is offline   Reply With Quote