Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffina6 View Post
- ...for faster fps, larger body, and what seemed like more accessibility to controls

- ...was the main goal so the 50D made good sense to me, though I now long for the 7D, Oh where does it end???
- Thank you for this information, Andy. It makes sense.

- Yes, where will it all end?

Never, I suppose - we will just go on and yearn for a 'bigger' and 'better' all the time. That's human mentality...and keeps the economy going, I guess...

Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 6:52 PM   #12
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
Thanks again Hards80 - That cleared it. It sounds satisfactory - a dedicated (assigned in *your menue* or something like that, I suppose...) button for AEB-shots is what I want on my future camera.

How do you activate the shutter for the 3 AEB's?

- On my own camera (G1), I just keep the shutter pressed down until all shots (3 or 5 or 7) are fired consecutive (for visual control: a blincking icon on the LCD (or OVF) stops blinking when all shots are made).

- On my son in laws D90 however, he actually has to push the shutter down 3 times to activate the 3-frame bracket (!) which doesn't sound very logic to me. One can combine the selv-timer and AEB, but only after setting the activation to 'Sequential shooting' type Low, which setting is erased once you turn your camera off and move the camera to another position.

Can you, for instance, trigger the AEB's off with the selv-timer?
IMO such a combination of mirror lock-up, selv-timer and AEB would be the best solution to avoid camera-shake when the camera is mounted on a tripod.

And, another important question - Does the EOS 50D have a Bulb shutter-setting?

Many tiering questions, i know - but I want this to be the 'RIGHT' camera next time.
hi walter.

I have done some testing to see if i can answer your questions here. some of them i have used, some i just figured out today (the mirror lockup 3 shot AEB burst).

1. yes you can tie your continuous shooting to your AEB, so that like you do now if you have AEB on, if you hold down the shutter button, it will fire off 3 shots.

2. if you have it in AEB and set a 2 second self-timer, it will fire off all AEB 3 shots after the timer.

3. further more, if you want AEB, mirror-lockup, at the same time, you can do this, but like all dslrs, you have to do it in Live View mode, as not dslrs that i am aware of can continuous shoot in mirror lockup through the VF. (on a tripod this is no problem, a your shot is lined up anyways, so this would be the ultimate steady-shot)

4. Yes, it has bulb mode

any of these combinations can be assigned to a custom function on the dial, making a turn of the nob all you need to enter this mode. as well as any other custom functions like controlling AEB from a single button. you can just save the profiles and come back to them.

Last edited by Hards80; Jan 29, 2010 at 7:00 PM. Reason: added bulb answer
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 2:48 PM   #13

if you want more control over the bracketing you can just hook up a camera on a tripod to a netbook or a laptop and use a DSLR Remote Pro , which gives you a 15 shots bracketing, focus stacking and a few other things. Haven't tried the bracketing, but did a few focus stacks with up to 13 images, controlling the camera from my netbook. AFAIK, DSLR Remote Pro only works with Canon cameras.
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 3:01 AM   #14

Thanks algold for you interesting tip about dSLR Remote Pro, which I didn't knew, existed!

But I doubt that it would be of any real help to me, except in theory - because 95% of my shootings take place outside in the nature, sometimes far from civilization, and ususally at night or early morning (like the shot below) and under severe temperature-conditions. Not a place to hook up a netbook, when you are standing knee-deep in snow, trying to avoid camera-shake, with temperatures of minus 18ºC fogging up your LCD....

My surroundings:

But thanks for your information, anyway. This is a technology I will certainly have to read more about!
Old Feb 2, 2010, 3:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
...I have done some testing to see if i can answer your questions here...
First of all, I must apologize, Dustin for not answering you sooner on all your comments and detailed and useful information, which by now give me a fairly good idea of the things that are important to me on the 40D.

I have come to the stage where I have involvement in too many active threads and I am beginning to loose control.....

So, apologies and a warm 'thank you' for writing down all this information which is not easy to come by, just reading reviews!
Old Feb 2, 2010, 5:41 AM   #16

That's a very good shot and you have a nice view Walter.
Guess, lagging a netbook around won't be the best solution for you in these conditions .
If you shoot RAW you can get away shooting 3 bracketed shots and make multiple raw conversions in post processing, kind of a mix of HDR and pseudo-HDR.
Best regards,
Alex
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 10:39 AM   #17

Quote:

My surroundings:
Beautiful surroundings you have there Walter and a fine image as well. Looks like a great place to visit but may be too cold for me. We just had 8" of snow (unusual for us) - fun for a couple of days but always nice when it melts.

Andy
griffina6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 12:43 PM   #18

Quote:
Walter,

For me shooting my kids sports was the main goal so the 50D made good sense to me, though I now long for the 7D, Oh where does it end???

Andy

Andy, I took a look at 7D, man, it unbelievable... 18 megapixels... weather-proof, and the HD video is beyond belief... and it will take 29.9 minutes of video at that. Excellent camera.

Ned Brockwell
Jyväskylä, Finland
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 12:51 PM   #19

Quote:
Thanks algold for you interesting tip about dSLR Remote Pro, which I didn't knew, existed!

But I doubt that it would be of any real help to me, except in theory - because 95% of my shootings take place outside in the nature, sometimes far from civilization, and ususally at night or early morning (like the shot below) and under severe temperature-conditions. Not a place to hook up a netbook, when you are standing knee-deep in snow, trying to avoid camera-shake, with temperatures of minus 18ºC fogging up your LCD....

Hejsan Walther! I am planning to buy a new camera, too. I am looking for one that will handle winters here in Finland. So, for me, at least, I have to find one that is made for dealing with the weather, including cold. I look forward to reading what camera you eventually decide on.

Hey, I wanted to say that picture you sent was absolutely beautiful!!! Wonderful composition and colours! Many thanks, indeed.

All the best.

Ned Brockwell
Jyväskylä, Finland
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 6:11 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by algold View Post
That's a very good shot and you have a nice view Walter...
Quote:
Beautiful surroundings you have there Walter and a fine image as well....
Thank you both, Alex and Andy - the snow looks great on the picture, but there is a lot of work involved getting rid of it from placed where you do not want it to pile up - like the driveway of your house or on the road, ect. ect.

We are having snow and cold now, since before X-mas, and every once in a while the "guy upstairs" sends another load (just to test our patience...) on top of the old one.
I am really looking forward to spring and thaw-weather now. Specially now, that my boat is iced in completely....

BTW: I am standing on water (ice) here, taking this photo. My boat is the one in the background, beige hull, white superstructure and red "brim" on the doghouse-roof! Buildt most of it myself.
Attached Images

Last edited by Walter_S; Feb 3, 2010 at 6:23 AM.