Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 29, 2010, 2:34 PM   #11

why dont manufacturers implement counters that work similarly to odometers for stuff like this? I mean, granted, cars are far more expensive, but how much a camera has been used can tell you a lot about it. don't you agree?
Old Jan 29, 2010, 2:35 PM   #12

To be honest unless you want to treat yourself, there is not to much more that the prosumer camera's can do like a 7d or 50d that the t1i can not keep close with. The 5DmkII will smoke the t1i in fps, but that is a 2500 dollar body and it is a pro camera at FF. Think by the time you want to treat yourself the 7D may be 2-3 generations old. It seems to be a 2-3 year cycle with new dslr.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 2:40 PM   #13
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The 5DmkII will smoke the t1i in fps, but that is a 2500 dollar body and it is a pro camera at FF. Think by the time you want to treat yourself the 7D may be 2-3 generations old. It seems to be a 2-3 year cycle with new dslr.
The 5DmkII doesn't smoke the T1i re fps as the 5DmkII does 3.9 fps and the T1i does 3.4. Now the 50D pushes to 6.3fps and the 7D does 8fps. The the last step is the 1D mkIII/IV which both offer 10fps.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 2:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
To be honest unless you want to treat yourself, there is not to much more that the prosumer camera's can do like a 7d or 50d that the t1i can not keep close with. The 5DmkII will smoke the t1i in fps, but that is a 2500 dollar body and it is a pro camera at FF. Think by the time you want to treat yourself the 7D may be 2-3 generations old. It seems to be a 2-3 year cycle with new dslr.
The truth of this statement depends. As mark pointed out the 7d at 8fps ($1600) has 8fps vs. 3.4. That's a big difference. It also has a significantly better focus system. It also has a much better build quality. And, of course, the 1 series is much better to boot. But, if you put a similar quality lens on the t1i and take a photo of your kid posing and do the same with a 1-series you'll be hard pressed to see a big difference (assuming you're not going for shallow depth). Same for typical vacation shots or many other day-to-day shots at small print sizes.

BUT you'll also have different ergonomics - which are important to a lot of people. Two dial operation vs. 1 dial, larger etc.

Again, t1i is a great camera capable of taking great photos. But it does not have the same feature set as higher models. Not a shock. The key is always to know/find out what features are important to how you use your tools and only pay for the features that will benefit you.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 2:56 PM   #15
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Again, t1i is a great camera capable of taking great photos. But it does not have the same feature set as higher models. Not a shock. The key is always to know/find out what features are important to how you use your tools and only pay for the features that will benefit you.
Another thing is you can spend thousands on cameras, getting the latest and greatest however but still not get a good photo as the skill of the photographer really has an impact.

Last point for now is better glass can often make a bigger improvement then getting a better body. Obviously if you tie the two together than you get a great solution.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 2:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
The 5DmkII doesn't smoke the T1i re fps as the 5DmkII does 3.9 fps and the T1i does 3.4. Now the 50D pushes to 6.3fps and the 7D does 8fps. The the last step is the 1D mkIII/IV which both offer 10fps.
I confuse the 2, been up for 48 hours. I confuse 50d and 5d. These night flight kills me. Thanks for the correction.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 29, 2010 at 3:13 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 4:35 PM   #17
Super Moderator

just learn to use the equipment you have. when you have used it enough to know its limitations, you will then know what to look for in your next body. until then, i would quit worrying about it, as well as shutter life.

if you are not being limited now, you gain nothing by upgrading bodies, nothing at all.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 4:49 PM   #18

I would rather concern myself on lens before a new body. It will impact your photos more so then a new body, the one you have will give you years of memories. Something like a longer fast prime ef 85mm 1.8, or if you are into landscapes and buildings a wide angle zoom lens down at 10 or 12mm if you are into macro a good macro lens. Or if you are into sports, something with a fast usm or hsm motor for action shots to capture the action. JMTC.

And on that note, it s almost 11pm Frankfurt time, and good night all. Hopefully no jetlag effects in the morning
Old Jan 31, 2010, 12:53 AM   #19

T1i is rated for 100,000

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ra-Review.aspx
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2010, 2:21 AM   #20
Super Moderator

From memory the shutter on the xxxD series are rated at around 100k MTBF. The xxD at around 150k MTBF. The 5D at around 200k, and the 1D at well over 250k. I would guess the 7D would be around the 200k mark too.

In general I would not buy a used camera. However I might well buy a used 1D, particularly a used 1DmkIII which although its AF system was not up to what was expected from it, was still better than anything in the xxD or xxxD range.

Last edited by peripatetic; Jan 31, 2010 at 2:29 AM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote