Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 9, 2010, 9:14 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmacmusic View Post
But what gives with the price? $800 in the USA and 800 here in the UK (body only)... that doesn't make sense to me. I think it's been said before too, but what's going on with Canon's DSLR line up now.... are we not going to see a 60D after all?
I'm sure you will. The 7d is selling for $1700 USD from reputable dealers. The 50d is selling for $930. You'll see a 60d in the $1000-1100 USD price range I'm sure. With the 7d costing twice as much as the 550d there's plenty of pricing room for another camera.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 10:46 AM   #22

I wonder about how the T2i will compare to the 50D in terms of focus ability. In other words did the T2i pick up some of the 7D focus speed and be a better sports camera than the 50D?
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 11:02 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by waoldrifleman View Post
I wonder about how the T2i will compare to the 50D in terms of focus ability. In other words did the T2i pick up some of the 7D focus speed and be a better sports camera than the 50D?
Don't count on focus being better. Canon has not said anything about changes to AF in this camera and Canon, like all manufacturers, loves to tout improvements. Expect this to be the same focus system as the T1i. It's also a bit slow in frame rate and of course it's still plastic. The one area you could expect it to be better is in high ISO performance - but we have to wait and see. It's a sensor similar to the 7d but not the same. No idea what's different.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 11:04 AM   #24

Well then maybe the 50D price will drop and I will get that (purchase window opens in 9 days)
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 11:06 AM   #25

I still don't get this from a pricing/range perspective... Sure, the 50D may well get replaced with a 60D that's got a magnesium body, weather sealing, faster AF etc..etc... I just can't help but feel that the 7D is the 60D, if you know what I mean, and the traditional model numbers here in the UK - i.e. XD, XXD, XXXD - have got a bit mixed up!

550D (body) = 800
50D (body) = 710
7D (body) = 1250
550D + 18-135 = 1100
50D + 18-200 = 1100
7D + 18-135 = 1500

I notice that already we're seeing free bag, battery and memory card with the 550D body and kits too, and wonder what the 'street' price of the 550D will become once it's actually available to buy.
mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 11:11 AM   #26
Super Moderator

just make the 60d a budget fullframe at 1200$ and let the 7d replace it as the go-to APS-C imo..

.... oh yea, then i woke up...
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 11:17 AM   #27

I am with you on that one Hards, an affordable FF would be nice.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 12:10 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmacmusic View Post
I just can't help but feel that the 7D is the 60D, if you know what I mean, and the traditional model numbers here in the UK - i.e. XD, XXD, XXXD - have got a bit mixed up!
I understand what you mean. To me, the 7d represents what the 50d SHOULD HAVE BEEN. But it's a response to Nikon's D300. The D300 really hurt Canon - Nikon had a real trump card there - bringing some professional AF performance down into a prosumer body.

So Canon's 7d is the response to the D300 and it's 50d/60d still the competition for the d90. What hasn't changed at the lower end is Canon & Nikon never stacked up head to head. Their cameras alternated (and was reflected in the price point as well).

What Nikon and Canon did differently though is the D700 vs. 5dII. The D700 went with low pixel count for highest possible IQ at all ISOs over size. They kept great focus system and good burst rate so their camera works well for people who want dynamic range, shallow dof and other benefits of full frame AND also low light sports shooters. With the 5dII, canon went for a camera marketed towards people who want more pixels while still providing the benefits of the full frame. But the camera isn't as suited for sports use as the d700 is.

So, the 7d 'mucked with' the mid range. Instead of 50D to 1d, we now have 50d to 7d to 1d. The same thing happened at the low end. Instead of a single entry level camera manufacturers now have a couple (or if you're sony, you have 5 or 6). In the last year that has been XSi and T1i. Now it will be T1i and T2i.

Unfortunately the old numbering convention (xxxd, xxd, xd) doesn't support a 5 camera progression (500d > 550D > 60D > 7d/5dII > 1d/s)

Canon, like Nikon is choosing to further segment their markets. I'm not a really big fan of this behavior and hopefully they won't go the route of Sony and over-segment it.

I still think there's a place for the 60D - lots of enthusiasts out there want a rugged, prosumer camera but aren't sports/wildlife fanatics. For them I think most will skip the 60d and either stay at the 550 or if they can swing it jump up to the 7d. But lots of other people will be happy with a 60d and don't want to pay another $500-600 premium for the benefits the 7d provides to sports/wildlife shooters.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 12:32 PM   #29
Super Moderator

i think canon has to do something to cater to those not interested in sports/wildlife to set it apart from the 550D.

thats why i jokingly said an even more affordable FF. it has to represent a truly more capable camera than the 550d, and moreso than just the "well its magnesium" argument.

it should truly represent a better quality imager than the 550d, or even the 7d, and sacrifice some fps and focus tracking to do so is fine imo, otherwise it just becomes a 7d-lite and will have a hard time finding a niche.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 12:47 PM   #30

Dustin,

I agree that the 60d won't really be aimed at the sports / wildlife shooter. But I don't think you'll see a better imager per-se. The 40d/50d didn't represent a better imager really than the XSi. Just more high ISO. That went bye-bye with the T1i.

I think Canon would do more harm than good to themselves by creating a full-frame. The 5dII is selling great - no pressure for a lower priced model. The market certainly isn't pressuring them to do it. They can't go the route of Nikon or Oly and say "12mp is enough" because they've already backed themselves into the corner of "more mp is better". So, here's what you'll likely see on a 60D - more features:
Articulating screen for movies
improved AF performance in movie mode
included wireless flash (from 7d)
Redesigned battery possibly for longer battery life

You've also got more accessible feature changes with the 2 dials.

Might even have a built in HDR mode since that's in vogue right now.

So just like with most manufacturers it will be feature set and not necessarily sensor which separates this body from the 550d.

And, of course that increases their profit margins if they keep sensor design same. Nikon hasn't blinked on low cost full frame and sony isn't hurting the 5dII enough for canon to go the route you want IMO. Doesn't mean I wouldn't love it - I would love a lighter alternative to my 1dIII for everyday shooting without having to go to aps-c or paying the premium of the 5dII. But that doesn't mean canon is going to give it to us.