Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 9, 2010, 11:52 AM   #31
Super Moderator

yea, that was more of a dream than anything that i foresee happening. one can dream right... lol

but yea. i agree with you your real predictions, they are probably pretty accurate.

i am wondering if we don't see them go even more the route of the k7, and go with a smaller lighter, weather sealed magnesium body. so those wanting something smaller than the 7d, and differentiate it a little bit more.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 11:55 AM   #32

So as a sports shooter does the T2i buy you anything over the T1i?
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 11:57 AM   #33

ah - but a weather sealed body is useless without weather sealed lenses. canon doesn't have any inexpensive weather sealed lenses. AND, in sticking with the small/light route tthey would have to be AF-S lenses. So they'd have to start making those too. So i think that's too difficult / expensive route for canon to go in.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 11:59 AM   #34
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
ah - but a weather sealed body is useless without weather sealed lenses. canon doesn't have any inexpensive weather sealed lenses. AND, in sticking with the small/light route tthey would have to be AF-S lenses. So they'd have to start making those too. So i think that's too difficult / expensive route for canon to go in.
yea, the weather sealing probably won't make it. but maybe smaller lighter.

actually, knowing canon, it will just be the same body, with 18mp and video.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 12:07 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by waoldrifleman View Post
So as a sports shooter does the T2i buy you anything over the T1i?
Unknown at this time. It does have natural ISO 6400 (that's a boost on T1i). It's a completely new sensor so we have to see how the photos turn out at higher ISOs. The slightly faster burst rate is really a non factor - less than a frame per second. But we have to see if high ISO performance picks up - especially since Canon keeps uping the MP count (a big mistake IMO but that's all part of Canon's marketing gimmick of more MP = better camera - all you have to do is look at the ISO 6400 images out of the d700 to throw that notion out the window).

But don't discount the notion of high ISO performance improvements. Cleaner ISO 6400 really is a boon to sports shooters. Better ISO 6400 can be a HUGE bonus if canon can achieve it. That's a critical success factor for people entering the genre. SOOO many people out there want to shoot their kids indoor sports. If you get a 2/3 stop improvement in performance that's huge. That alone would make t2i worth a purchase over t1i if you didn't already own one.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2010, 11:38 PM   #36

I hope this camera can focus better than the T1i and the Xsi.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2010, 11:45 PM   #37

It uses the same 9 point AF as the T1i, which is most like the best AF system in this segment of the market. If your are referring to speed, it is not the body but the kit lenses, as they are not that fast compare to a USM motor of their higher grade lenses.

One interesting photo note. It does have a step up with the metering at at 63 as oppose to 35 on the T1i.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 1:38 PM   #38

Well I have decided to take the plunge. I placed an order for one, they claim early March availability.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 2:01 PM   #39

There is a store here in Finland offering the 550D for 857,50 € I really expected it to be a 1000. I have been seriously looking at Pentax, but I am afraid that the 550D might just be the one to go with. Oh, the above price is for the kit!!!

Looking forward to my purchase of my first DSLR... time to say good-bye to film... The video quality in the 550D sound really great.

All the best.

Ned
Jyväskylä, Finland
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2010, 2:48 PM   #40

In the states the current opening price is $899 for the kit.