Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 26, 2003, 8:51 PM   #1

Default Only one issue and it is not the camera :)

Half of the photos taken during my vacation were taken by someone else. It was kind of hard explaining the AF to someone that does not understand English (I'm barely at the intermediate level) Would I have to worry about that with something like the 50mm/1.8f lens?

Otherwise it took great pictures and I only had to get rid of 25% of the pictures because of unacceptable focus. I ran them through neatimage to remove a little noise and sharpen a bit. Then I had them printed at Walgreens. They look great.

Eric
ewitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2003, 10:25 PM   #2

Hello Eric, Eric here :roll:

Are you using the 18-55 mm EF-S lens ?

I noticed this lens being good, is not enough sharp, and this problem is amplified when the the contrast between a subject and the environment is too slim, so the AF will make mistake because of it. I believe sharper lens should be much better for AF function when the contrast is slim.

Ciao !
Eric CAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2003, 10:31 PM   #3

Eric CAN & ewitte

Another Eric here. Eric CAN is right. A scene with low contrast will be impossible to focus on. the AF systems in the vast majority of all digital cameras (including the 10D, and Digital Rebel) use a contrast detection system. If there is no contrast to detect, then it won't work.

Also, you need light to detect contrast. So in low light situations the camera will have a hard time focusing.

If you wanted to, you could buy an AF assist light that attaches to the flash hot-shoe. Or you could buy a flash that has one built in. This will allow the camera to focus in complete darkness.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2003, 7:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
Eric CAN & ewitte

Another Eric here. Eric CAN is right. A scene with low contrast will be impossible to focus on. the AF systems in the vast majority of all digital cameras (including the 10D, and Digital Rebel) use a contrast detection system. If there is no contrast to detect, then it won't work.

Also, you need light to detect contrast. So in low light situations the camera will have a hard time focusing.

If you wanted to, you could buy an AF assist light that attaches to the flash hot-shoe. Or you could buy a flash that has one built in. This will allow the camera to focus in complete darkness.

Eric
There was plenty of light in the photos. Still the equipment only works right if the person doing the shooting knows what they are doing. AF was just easier to explain not knowing the language very well. Myself I usually switch to MF if it has problems locking on a subject. I've never used a prime lens before. I was just wondering if there was less focus involved. In order to get better pictures when other users use the camera.

Eric
Old Nov 27, 2003, 1:48 PM   #5

Wouldn't it be a good solution just to use the center of the seven AF spots? I always do so, becacause I want to be in control of where the camera has to focus, and not let the camera decide... and I think most people would just intuitively use the camera like this. Together with the <P> mode instead of full automatic this should work fine, even for "dummy users"!? :roll:
Klaus W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2003, 4:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus W.
Wouldn't it be a good solution just to use the center of the seven AF spots? I always do so, becacause I want to be in control of where the camera has to focus, and not let the camera decide... and I think most people would just intuitively use the camera like this. Together with the <P> mode instead of full automatic this should work fine, even for "dummy users"!? :roll:
The whole problem was explaining not to push all the way down the first time