Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 23, 2010, 1:58 PM   #1
BDD

Default 5D Mark II replacement

Has any one heard any official news of the replacement? Like to see them up the max useable ISO to 12,800 (e.g. Nikon D3S) if not higher. And maybe up the FPS to at least 5 or 6.
BDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2010, 2:02 PM   #2
Super Moderator

super-high iso and fast shooting performance is really not what the 5d series is all about. that is more the realm of the 1dmkiv.

expect the 5dmkiii to have 30 or more megapixels, maybe minor AF changes, i doubt we will see much of a change in FPS, especially pushing that amount of data. i also expect them to go to a compressed video format. high ISO performance will most likely be good, but will not match the lower megapixel d3/d3s/1dseries
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 2:39 PM   #3

Everything Hards80 said is right on. It's simply the law of physics that will keep Canon's high ISO performance behind Nikon's D3 - until there is another leap in sensor design. That is because canon has placed their premium on the number of megapixels. Expecting high iso performance with 24mp-30mp to be as good as full frame sensor with 12mp just isn't realistic. Still, by all accounts the 1dIV is closer. Still falls short though. And make no mistake, canon is clearly keeping the 5d and 7d separate. They've shown no interest in a D700 type of camera - i.e. the full frame semi-pro sports camera. I expect they'll keep the frame rate of the 5d down.

Next camera out of the gates for Canon will likely be the 1dsIV followed by 60d. I think the 5dIII is likely third priority. So you've got a bit of a wait I'm guessing.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 2:44 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post

Next camera out of the gates for Canon will likely be the 1dsIV followed by 60d. I think the 5dIII is likely third priority. So you've got a bit of a wait I'm guessing.
i agree with this timeline. the 1dsmkiv will be out for a while before they release the 5dmkiii, which will most likely have a sensor with similar specs.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 2:46 PM   #5
NHL

More megapixels on a FF also mean more data to offload between shots...
-> A 1Ds is not that fast when compared to a 1D, the nikon FF has much less (lower res) data to move between shots...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 3:11 PM   #6
Super Moderator

interestingly Nikon has just stated that future plans for the D3 lineup is to achieve a better balance between resolution and high-iso performance than they did with the D3S.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 8:45 AM   #7

Canon 5D mark I is the finest ever camera canon produced. Nikon is making cameras for the photographer while Canon is trying to just make a camera that they can sell in hug e numbers based on MP myths and other fancy stickers.

I think canon is lost in thier own sets of cameras from 500D, 50D, 5D, 7D, 1D and 1Ds

Canon is going after the market while Nikon is trying to win the market with a photographic tool overall.

I am just disappointed that canon cant even match a D300 even in its 1D line up. 5D Mark I is the only camera that i think canon made wonders with.

I want to see a 12-14MP full frame that has better ISO performance, better DR, better AF (yes give us the old 45 points atleast from the 1d Mark II) and a better body overal.

even if Nikons say D4 is just 14 MP i do believe they will work on things we need. like the simple auto ISO feature that still canon doesnt want to implement the way photographers want it.

@troll callers, i am a genuine Canon User from the days of 20D.
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 8:52 AM   #8
BDD

Yes I read that too. About Nikon planning to strike a "balance between high ISO and MP". They also mentioned the plan to have video capture in all their DSLR's but that it is more for lower-end DSLRs. Etc.

Even if Canon doesn't put out a 5D Mark III with more FPS I'd be happy with one with higher ISO ability. And if we don't see a Mark III till after we see a 1DS MK3 or a few other models then I suppose I might not wait.

Will likely pickup the replacement for the Nikon D700. Which I hope is based on the D3S sensor and not the D3X. Which we'll likely see in the summer. Or there bouts. There's already rumors of a D900. Was mentioned in another website. Not sure if it was meant as a joke as the photo was from a company or website called "Fooltography". Had the "D900 label" over where the AF Assist Illuminator. And this website pulled the photo I think a day later. I would have thought a D800 (s or x) would be in the works before a D900.

Don't think I'll be waiting another 2 years.

And I disagree with the statement from the last poster who said he doesn't think Canon has a D300 beater or "matcher". They do IMHO in the 7D. I think it's a better camera than the D300 (which I currently own) and would have picked it up if I were in the market for a non-FF body today. Has all the features I've been looking for...except the high ISO performance of the D3s (useable 200-12,800 ISO). Actually I think the 7D might be "the best" non-FF body out there today. "Pound for pound".

Last edited by BDD; Feb 24, 2010 at 8:59 AM.
BDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 10:32 AM   #9
Super Moderator

The 5DMkII is a (slightly) better camera in every way and markedly better in some ways than the 5D.

It's high-ISO ability is as good as the D700 when down-rezzed to the same resolution. But you have the extra pixels where conditions are good.

Check out the comparison graphs at DXOMark.com if for some reason you don't believe this.

I can understand people wanting all the features of the 1D cameras in the 5DX (at the 5DX price), but Canon have positioned the camera differently. It's aimed at people who want a cheap FF with lots of resolution.

The original idea behind the 5D was to take a FF sensor and shove it into a slightly modified 20D body. That's still very much how Canon position the camera.

Much forum wailing that occurs because its spec is lower than the 1D. People seem to think that the only thing you pay for in the 1-series is the built-in vertical grip. But of course it's much more than that.

The 5DX is for portrait, studio and landscape and serves well enough for weddings. Many people don't care about and don't want to pay for an expensive AF system they don't need. Or a high fps shooting rate. Or better weather sealing. Or better resistance to bangs and crashes. Or dual cards. etc, etc. (Me and people like me.)

The 5DX is not the ideal camera for everyone. Maybe Canon will make a camera with the 7D features and a FF sensor and call it the 3D or something. But I really hope they don't drop the idea of the 5DX, because they will lose a lot of customers (me for one) if they abandon the basic idea of a mid-range feature set with high-end IQ at an affordable price.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 11:18 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymphetamine View Post

I want to see a 12-14MP full frame that has better ISO performance, better DR, better AF (yes give us the old 45 points atleast from the 1d Mark II) and a better body overal.
i think many of us would like to see that camera, call it a 3D, or whatever, take the 7d's autofocus and keep the fps around 8 or so, and that would be a fantastic low-light camera.

however, as craig mentioned, keep the 5d series in the lineup, there are still those of us that shoot mainly at base iso as well.