Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 26, 2010, 12:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker View Post
I would not be surprised at all if the sensor in the T2i is identical to the 7D. Also it would not be a surprise to find out that the T2i is simply dumbed down a bit by firmware / in camera processing, so they can keep a margin between the two bodies. You think about it. They already have production of the 7D sensor. It will cost them less to simply limit the camera by software (firmware) than to produce a new and slightly different sensor.
I think so...the two cameras would use the 18.0 mp sensor to facilitate economy of scale and would seem to be a good business plan. Dumbing down other features and having a body that is less robust with the 2Ti as compared to the 7D would also make sense from a marketing and price point standpoint.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2010, 12:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Canon will still produce a 60d. There is still a market for it. The 7d is the sports/wildlife prosumer camera. There are still plenty of photographers that want the benefits of te added features of the xxD - frame rate, build quality, ergonomics and other features that are just not sports/wildlife shooters. I wouldn't want a t2i because of the plastic build quality or ergonomics. I prefer the bigger size/ergonomics of the xxD series. There's a big price difference between the 7d and the t2i and canon needs to keep an option between the two for people that don't want to shoot sports/wildlife. Just like they need an option for people that don't want to make the leap up to the 5d series.I know what you're saying, but having a 60D and a 7D without much difference in price (I'm assuming) and features that are close between the two cameras...at a fairly pricey level...I just wonder would Canon be splitting hairs too finely at this price point ?

That's why I wonder if there will be a 60D ?
As you say the 7D is a sports/wildlife prosumer camera...I agree. A buddy has one and it's excellent in BIF.

But it's excellent in portraits and pictures of static objects like vintage cars, etc.

It's really an excellent all rounder from what I can see.

I wouldn't worry about the APS-C going away. Just doesn't make sense - everyone has too much money invested in lenses and there's a huge market segment that PREFERS smaller cameras and of course we're still a long way away from $1000 full frame bodies.
I am a fairly big guy and I actually like physically larger cameras for ease of handling...but you are correct...what's good for me, isn't necessarily good for a smaller person...smaller-physically..camera would be preferred I would think.

Also the good deal in getting more reach from your ASP-C camera/lens...my 55-300mm Pentax reaches out to 462 mm (35mm equivalent) on my K10D/KM...I like that considering the price of the 55-300.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2010, 6:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Actually I do not think it is firmware that is the only difference. The 50D and T1i has a similar sensor. But the bus between the sensors is difference. The 50D has a 2 bus connection while the t1i has a 1 bus connect to the camera. Think there are some hardware differences.
Yes the 7D has 8 channel readout and the T2i has 4 but still this is something I doubt they would have to go back and create a new sensor to accomplish.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2010, 8:02 AM   #14

It would be one reason that the 7D has a burst rate 2x as fast. I sure the physical sensor is the same, just the hardware attach to them are different.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 8:40 AM   #15

Im interested in seeing some side by side comparison shots. Build aspects aside.. the continous rate and max shutter speed seem to be the biggest differences I would consider. The 550 actually has more exposure compensation range and configurable Auto ISO but I bet they could add that to the 7D with firmware. Does not mean they will. If the 8fps and max shutter speed are not limiting factors to the buyer then 550 seems to be an excellent choice over the 7D.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 9:55 AM   #16

Well here are some comparison shots. Not as controlled as most comparisons but a good real world comparison. Looks like the T2i has the edge when it comes to sharpness. If you download the full size shots from Set 2 and Set 3 of the T2i and 7d and compare side by side you can see the T2i produce a sharper file. At first I thought it was focus differences but comparing files there is no part of the 7D image that appears as sharp as the sharpest parts of the T2i images.

I contacted the reviewer and he said these were shot with same camera settings, converted in DPP from RAW, and processed identically. If that is the case the T2i seems to produce a sharper image.

http://www.neutralday.com/canon-eos-...ty-comparison/

Last edited by Widowmaker; Mar 8, 2010 at 2:21 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 8:31 AM   #17

My understanding is that the 7D sports twin Digic 4 processors, hence it has twice the fps capability among other benefits as compared to the T2i. For myself, the T2i is amazing, but I'll spare the group the rantings of a recent DSLR convert. A G11 would have had me gushing.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 6:15 PM   #18

Crop sensors will not die because you get more zoom to your lens. I have the 7D and I like the popup flash which the fullframers don't have.
I had the XSI but needed more low light capability, and from that comparo the 7D does better in low light than the T2i.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote