Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 24, 2010, 9:49 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 3,076
Default Canon T2i- great leap forward ?

I'm not up on Canon DSLR's so I'm sure I'm behind on the latest news..but I just read that Canon has introduced their new T2i Rebel with an 18.0 MP sensor. I'm assuming this sensor is from the the 7D and this new Rebel camera seems to be about 1/2 the price or less then the 7D.

Wow...this new sensor in the Rebel at it's price point will set the cat among the pigeons I would think. I'm quite impressed...makes my Pentax K10D and KM seem positively inadequate with their Sony 10.2 MP Sensor.

But I'm still impressed with the pix that my 10.2 sensors produce and I have a friend with an older Canon 30D with only 8.2 mp's...but I have to say his picture quality is...great.


Quite a jump forward in sensor mp...I would think it will put Nikon, Pentax, Sony under the gun to increase sensor mp at this level.

I also wonder if it will affect sales of the 7D, although the 7D I realize is an altogether different market, more robust build, more features...but still the price difference ??

Anyways Canon is at the leading edge of the entry market I would say, with this new camera.

Again, not being a Canon expert am I missing anything ?
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2010, 10:13 AM   #2
Super Moderator
 
Hards80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 9,046
Default

the imager in the t2i is not exactly the same, or so i have heard, from the 7d, but it is very close. and from the preliminary reports from DXO it does quite well at higher ISO's despite the increase in megapixels.

i do not see it impacting 7d sales, the 7d offers much more robust build and feature set, and more importantly an autofocus system and fps built for action and sports shooting.

i see the t2i impacting the 50d sales more than anything.

definitely a feature set that blurs the line between entry-level and semi-pro/advanced amateur.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 10:28 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: "Sunny" Seattle
Posts: 390
Default

Yeah for me the competion for the T2i was the 50D and I am getting a T2i. The 50 D does have a lot going for it though that the T2i does not have (bigger/stronger body, more FPS, better viewfinder, AF, ect).
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 10:30 AM   #4
Super Moderator
 
Hards80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 9,046
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by waoldrifleman View Post
Yeah for me the competion for the T2i was the 50D and I am getting a T2i. The 50 D does have a lot going for it though that the T2i does not have (bigger/stronger body, more FPS, better viewfinder, AF, ect).
i personally shoot the 50d. and the body alone (bigger hands love the 50ds grip) alone would be enough for me not to trade for the t2i. but also the vf and micro-adjust af. i personally don't need the fps, but its nice to have for those that shoot sports.

caveat, i don't care about video.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 11:29 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 3,076
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
i personally shoot the 50d. and the body alone (bigger hands love the 50ds grip) alone would be enough for me not to trade for the t2i. but also the vf and micro-adjust af. i personally don't need the fps, but its nice to have for those that shoot sports.

caveat, i don't care about video.
Canon has many DSLR's. I liked the 10,20,30,40, 50 D line, but with the 7D and the T2i...I wonder where the 50D fits.

The 7D to my mind is what the 60D would of been, the natural successor to the 50D.

But as we know there is no 60D and the 7D seems to have taken that position. ...in the Canon hierarchy.

Does Canon still make the 50D or has it been discontinued with the intro of the 7D ?

If it is still being made, as good as it is, it would seem to be redundant in Canon's present line.

As an aside, I was pleased when Canon introduced the fairly sophisticated, edge of the envelope 7d in ASP-C form. To me this indicated that the industry leader...Canon...has no plans to drop the ASP-C format in their line.

I have ASP-C in the form of my Pentax models and I'm always concerned that the ASP-C format will be discontinued as full framers become cheaper...to wit the new Sony 850.

But perhaps the ASP-C format is facing the inevitable and will eventually fade away. I don't know.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 12:41 PM   #6
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,529
Default

Canon will still produce a 60d. There is still a market for it. The 7d is the sports/wildlife prosumer camera. There are still plenty of photographers that want the benefits of te added features of the xxD - frame rate, build quality, ergonomics and other features that are just not sports/wildlife shooters. I wouldn't want a t2i because of the plastic build quality or ergonomics. I prefer the bigger size/ergonomics of the xxD series. There's a big price difference between the 7d and the t2i and canon needs to keep an option between the two for people that don't want to shoot sports/wildlife. Just like they need an option for people that don't want to make the leap up to the 5d series.

I wouldn't worry about the APS-C going away. Just doesn't make sense - everyone has too much money invested in lenses and there's a huge market segment that PREFERS smaller cameras and of course we're still a long way away from $1000 full frame bodies.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 8:33 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 3,076
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Canon will still produce a 60d. There is still a market for it. The 7d is the sports/wildlife prosumer camera. There are still plenty of photographers that want the benefits of te added features of the xxD - frame rate, build quality, ergonomics and other features that are just not sports/wildlife shooters. I wouldn't want a t2i because of the plastic build quality or ergonomics. I prefer the bigger size/ergonomics of the xxD series. There's a big price difference between the 7d and the t2i and canon needs to keep an option between the two for people that don't want to shoot sports/wildlife. Just like they need an option for people that don't want to make the leap up to the 5d series.

I wouldn't worry about the APS-C going away. Just doesn't make sense - everyone has too much money invested in lenses and there's a huge market segment that PREFERS smaller cameras and of course we're still a long way away from $1000 full frame bodies.
I think you're right about the life span of APS-C.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 9:48 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Widowmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 851
Default

I would not be surprised at all if the sensor in the T2i is identical to the 7D. Also it would not be a surprise to find out that the T2i is simply dumbed down a bit by firmware / in camera processing, so they can keep a margin between the two bodies. You think about it. They already have production of the 7D sensor. It will cost them less to simply limit the camera by software (firmware) than to produce a new and slightly different sensor.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 10:51 PM   #9
Super Moderator
 
Hards80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 9,046
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker View Post
I would not be surprised at all if the sensor in the T2i is identical to the 7D. Also it would not be a surprise to find out that the T2i is simply dumbed down a bit by firmware / in camera processing, so they can keep a margin between the two bodies. You think about it. They already have production of the 7D sensor. It will cost them less to simply limit the camera by software (firmware) than to produce a new and slightly different sensor.

yea, it would not be a surprise, and makes much more sense from a manufacturing standpoint
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 11:17 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
shoturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Frankfurt AM
Posts: 11,348
Default

Actually I do not think it is firmware that is the only difference. The 50D and T1i has a similar sensor. But the bus between the sensors is difference. The 50D has a 2 bus connection while the t1i has a 1 bus connect to the camera. Think there are some hardware differences.
__________________
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:25 PM.