Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 29, 2003, 3:03 PM   #11

I thought that the EF-S lens was only for the DRebel? I'd rather have the EF lenses so when (most likely) I upgrade to a better Canon digital I can take the lenses with me.
Latka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2003, 10:27 PM   #12

I think the current EF-S lens is only for the Digital Rebel, but that's more of a marketing move to help Canon hit the 1000 price point with a lens.
Red Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2003, 10:34 PM   #13

Yes, the EF-S lens was created specifically for the Digi Rebel. I personally don't see the sense in Canon creating any more of them. EF lenses are all just fine in spite of the multiplier/cropping factor. It's possible (I'd say darn near definate) canon will create other bodies that will accept these lenses, but for them to have to maintain two different autofocus lens lines would make no sense from a manufacturing standpoint and would risk upsetting customers who want to use their lenses on both their film and digital bodies. I, for one, would not knowingly buy another EF-S lens unless there was some REALLY compelling reason to do so. I don't see what kind of value EF-S lenses would add.
echaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2003, 10:41 PM   #14

I'm hoping to replace the 18-50mm EFS lens with something a bit nicer down the road. For now, I've got my sights set on the 75-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM lens from Canon. I want to say I've found it for as low as $389 through B&H over in New York, but I'm not 100% sure about that. The local camera shop here (lots of people reccomended it) wanted like $650 for the same thing. Sheesh...so much for supporting a local camera shop.

I am guessing that the 18-50 and the 75-300 should cover most of what I want to do for a while...err...until I need another "fix". Jeez this photography stuff is like crack. Might get one of the 500mm f8 mirror lenses for fun. Don't see how it'd be much use in anything other than daylight - but I do love trying to photograph some of the unique birds out here. For some reason they run when my 6'6" 275lb frame approaches. Might be stuck using a tripod even in the sunlight - but it'll be fun.

Ok...back to taking pictures.

-Andy
Latka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2003, 10:49 PM   #15

I got my 75-300 IS from B&H. I also bought a Sony Digital Camcorder from them. They totally rock. Best in the business.

I think the 18-55 is pretty nice. My only complaint is I wish it were faster. I'd like a really fast lens like the 50mm f/1.8 or 1.4. I hate flashes of all kinds and prefer shooting in natural light if possible. It's probably impossible to engineer but a really fast zoom 20something to 70-80something would be my ideal everyday lens.

Problem is I'm too cheap to spend $1200 on a lens :lol:
echaban is offline   Reply With Quote