Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 28, 2003, 2:41 PM   #1

Default Digital Rebel zoom lens question

Okay...this question is about the pack-in lens that comes with the Digital Rebel.

How far can it zoom? With most digital lenses, you get something like 5x or 7x...what's the Digital Rebel's pack-in lense equivalent to?
Red Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2003, 4:19 PM   #2

18 - 55mm is approximately a 3 X zoom
brian1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2003, 4:43 PM   #3

Is there a way to convert mm to X ?

That being asked, I have another conversion question.

Canon Zoom Lens EF 55200mm f/4.55.6 II USM ...what does that equate to?

My questions are coming up because I like the 12X zoom on the FZ10 but might take the next step up to the Digital Rebel.
Old Nov 28, 2003, 5:17 PM   #4

Never mind, I figured it out. Should've paid a little more attention to math class.

If memory serves, take the larger number and divide it by the smaller...that gets the X.

However, I'm still fuzzy on how I can tell how far a lens will let me focus.
Old Nov 28, 2003, 5:27 PM   #5
NHL

Quote:
Is there a way to convert mm to X ?
Yes

x is the ratio, ie:
o for the 18-55mm -> x is 55/18 = 3.05x
o for the 55200mm -> x is 200/55 = 3.63x, not much of a difference!

What you're trying to ask is the magnification as compared to a normal lens which in term of popular film camera is 50mm, but with the Digital Rebel with a smaller sensor it's actually around 31.25mm (50/1.6). Anything less than this is considered a wide angle and anything above is a tele... Therefore a 200mm has a magnification of 6.4x (200/31.25) whereas a 55mm only has a magnification of only 1.76x (55/31.25) as compared to a normal field of view...

Quote:
Canon Zoom Lens EF 55200mm f/4.55.6 II USM ...what does that equate to?
In term of 35mm camera multiply theses numbers by 1.6 (ie the crop factor) which equate to ~ 88-320mm f/4.55.6 and again if you divide the highest tele position (320) by the equivalent normal focal lenght (50) you still get a magnification factor of 6.4x! 8)

BTW there's two 10x lenses that'll fit the 300D, the Canon EF 35-350mm and the Sigma 50-500mm. With the Sigma you get an equivalent of 16x magnification (with the Canon's it's only around 12x)!!! :P :P :P

As a reference the 420mm equivalent on the FZ10 is only an 8.4x magnification at its max zoom position... :?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2003, 5:48 PM   #6

Thank you so much for your explanation. I'm not sure I completely understand it, but it definitely makes way more sense now.

Still, think I'll go with the FZ10...the Rebal's way more camera than I need or can afford.
Old Nov 28, 2003, 9:17 PM   #7

Red Viper, a word of caution about the number of x times the magnification from various point and shoot cameras, the idea about SLR cameras is not about how much it can magnify or not, but with proper lens, you can get extraordinary results in terms of image sharpness, contrast, image definition and so on. Point and shoot cameras are bound with the lens they have in. A nice one like the Coolpix 5700 with ED glass is not the norm. What I am trying to say is the vast majority of point and shoot cameras have limitations in terms of reproduction quality. On the other hand, SLR cameras, like the 10D or the 300D only limitation is the quality of the optics, therefore what you're willing to spend to get what you want. This is the beauty of Canon DSLR, you have a camera body, then you can buy lens that will favour your shooting style, what you're looking in photography.

Being also a astro-amateur, the same analogy applied here, how many times you see advertisements or shelf telescope sold in everyday store advertizing they can magnify 500X. This is totally false, Only lens quality can provide more magnification keeping the subject (stars) sharp, and alas, these lens needed to be made of ED, LD or UD glass, better yet made of artificial fluorites, which are quite expensive indeed.

Hope it provides you some explanation about advertized magnification.

Ciao !
Eric CAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2003, 9:45 PM   #8

It's more than just the zoom. I like framing shots with the LCD, and find it BETTER than using the viewfinder when I'm shooting news stories. With the camera away from my face, I can watch what else is going on, which makes it easier for me to switch subjects.

Plus, the Rebel's just too expensive. I could swing the base price, but I'd want the Sigma lens mentioned for more zoom, along with a big memory card, an external flash, and a tripod.. I can afford the camera or the accessories with the Digital Rebel, or the FZ10 AND everything else I'd want.
Old Nov 28, 2003, 11:23 PM   #9

I think you're making a pretty good choice if through the lens viewfinding is not important to you. Had I not heard of the Rebel before I heard of the FZ10 , I might have chosen it. The built-in image stabilization is a real plus. Too bad Panasonic is really not seen as a "camera" company otherwise I would have looked into what they had to offer.

The way I look at it, I've messed up enough shots by not having through-the-lens viewing and seeing an LCD through the viewfinder is pretty crappy. Seeing an LCD on the back of the camera is a nuisance for me since I'm getting far-sighted in my old age and refuse to wear reading glasses :lol:

I'm pretty happy w/ my digi-rebel. Being able to get F1.X lenses is a real plus for me because I love to shoot portraits of people in natural light.
echaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2003, 11:28 AM   #10

If the Digital Rebel offered LCD shot framing, I'd probably go into debt for it.

This is one of the reasons I'm glad it doesn't. I hope Canon steps up, does more EF-S lenses, and maybe in a year or two I'll upgrade.