Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 29, 2003, 7:25 AM   #1

Default first basic queston on digital SLR

I am new to digital SLR camera and have no chance to use it yet. I am wondering is the digital SLR means that I can use it as a digital camera with the pictures stored on a memory AND also I can use it as a traditional camera with film inside? :?: :shock:
lmei007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2003, 8:14 AM   #2

No film - digital storage only. The digital SLR designation is generally used to differentiate cameras that will accept lenses from 35mm cameras.
tnj4uga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2003, 9:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnj4uga
No film - digital storage only. The digital SLR designation is generally used to differentiate cameras that will accept lenses from 35mm cameras.
Thank you for your reply. So the digital SLRs are real digital only cameras but why we need the lenses from 35mm cameras for the digital cameras? Are they better in quality than those common digital camera lenses? thanks :roll:
lmei007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2003, 10:27 AM   #4

Technically, SLR means Single Lens Reflex. The images for the viewfinder and the actual photography come from the same lens, so what you see is always very close to what the picture looks like. A mirror directs the image to the view finder then flips up to allow the image to strike the film or digital imager. It is possible to have a camera like the Sony DSC D700 which is an SLR and has a build in lens, but SLR usually implies that you can change lenses. This means that you can have a choice of wide angle, "normal", or telephoto lenses. It also means you can choose lighter higher quality fixed lens or a more flexible zoom lens. You can also make a trade off between expensive high quality lenses and less expensive, but perhaps adaquate lenses.

Ken Walker
kenww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2003, 10:29 AM   #5

Yes, in general the lenses you can attach to a SLR (and digital SLR) are better. Note, that the same lenses you put on a Digital SLR are the same yout put (in general) on a Film SLR.

They also give you more flexability, while retaining quality. You could put a wide angle attachement on your Canon A80, but it won't have the same quality as a dedicated Macro lens you put on an SLR.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote