Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 7, 2010, 5:30 PM   #1

Default Dust, Yah Gotta Hate It.

Hi, I really need help, I Photograph Motocross Events. Last year i destroyed a lens with dust getting inside, I have been looking on ebay for protectors but most are not really suited for my 7D , there either an oversized plastic bag or sleeve that wont show any of the camera's controls.

I have been using a pair of tights on my old camera lens this works quite well but i feel it holds the dust to much.

Is there anything you guys use or made up to protect it. I was thinking on the lines of a sleeve off a transparent rain mack or something similar.

Really need help as the Motocross season starts next Sunday so i need to be prepared.

Any help or designs would be appreciated.

Thanks.
warriorsoul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2010, 7:26 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorsoul7 View Post
... I have been using a pair of tights on my old camera lens this works quite well but i feel it holds the dust to much.

Is there anything you guys use or made up to protect it. ...
You might try changing your tights once in a while.

Quote:
... I was thinking on the lines of a sleeve off a transparent rain mack or something similar.

Really need help as the Motocross season starts next Sunday so i need to be prepared.
How about a ZipLok bag with a hole in each edge that's just a little bit smaller than each end of your lens? That way you'd have to stretch it over the ends of the lens so it would be tight enough to keep out any dirt, but the middle would be slack enough so you could rotate the zoom and focus rings.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 1:11 AM   #3

I did think about using a ziplok bag and covering the whole camera as well as the lens, putting camera and lens in a plastic bag would this not make it sweat or cause condensation.
warriorsoul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 6:50 AM   #4

Quote:
... would this not make it sweat or cause condensation.
Only if the temperature change is significant. And you could put a silica gel pack in the bag too.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote