Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 15, 2010, 1:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymphetamine View Post
I am just guessing the over heating is due to LIVE mode or video mode. Mark III gets so hot when i shoot it remote, live using the EOS utility.

New hobbby is to get the camera set up for some squirrel shooting using the 150mm macro....

heres one..
Now that's an excellent shot. Good work.
William Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 1:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
For everyone who says it is weak then others say it is strong. The conclusion of the 2nd review you give is:
"Overall Conclusion: The Canon 7D easily bests the Canon Rebel XSI
All smoke, no fire. Time to go home folks, nothing to see here."

There are many possible issues, the lens in the tests might not have been able to resolve for the higher resolution sensor, a lower pixel count will nearly always look sharper, when I go back to some of my Konica Minolta 5D shots which were 6mp they look great, but for larger printing the newer cameras will kill it.

Also, when printing will you be pixel peeping or will you just be looking at what will be a very good shot, only limited by the glass and the photographer. I've sold work using a range of cameras from the KM5D as mentioned through to my current selection of Canon bodies used for sports and weddings. The 7D is among those cameras, it isn't the best at sports (my 1DmkIII is) and it isn't the best portrait camera (my 5DmkII is). What the 7D is, is a very good all round camera capable of shooting high end sports and lovely portraits. Added to that you get great video too and wonderful handling. If you don't need video, the better AF system, top end handling, then look at the 50D or something smaller. If you want what a lot of magazines are calling the best APS-C camera currently out there then that's the way to go. I agree too about that statement. I've played with Nikon D90's, D300s', and all the Canon range leading up to the 7D and it was good enough for me to put in the stable next to my Pro level bodies.
Really do appreciate your comments. Thank you.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 3:55 PM   #13

Comparing the XSi and the 7D is almost funny. Having owned an XSi, which does produce excellent image quality at lower ISO, 50D's and now 7D's I will tell you from my own experience, there is no comparison. To get images capable of cropping with the XSi, the detail settings must be set to a higher than normal level. Noise then becomes an issue above iso 800. With the 7D I found that I can set the detail settings lower than normal and produce stunning quality images that have extremely low noise, even at iso 2500 or 3200.
What Canon has done with the 7D, is create the first C chip camera in the Canon lineup, that is one that pros can, and do, use with confidence. I know many who are currently using the 7D, including the Associated Press here in Nashville. The AP issued photogs the 7D to compliment their 5DII's and 1DMkIV's.
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 1:20 AM   #14

Video comparing the T2i and 7d for overheating. Amazing how long the T2i went on before time out.

Also viewed about 10 videos in Vimeo on T2i samples - they were all comparable if not equal to the 7d. That Canon 1.4 50mm is sharp as a tack.

Last edited by William Richard; Mar 18, 2010 at 1:36 AM. Reason: added url
Old Mar 18, 2010, 1:23 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokachr View Post
Comparing the XSi and the 7D is almost funny. Having owned an XSi, which does produce excellent image quality at lower ISO, 50D's and now 7D's I will tell you from my own experience, there is no comparison. To get images capable of cropping with the XSi, the detail settings must be set to a higher than normal level. Noise then becomes an issue above iso 800. With the 7D I found that I can set the detail settings lower than normal and produce stunning quality images that have extremely low noise, even at iso 2500 or 3200.
What Canon has done with the 7D, is create the first C chip camera in the Canon lineup, that is one that pros can, and do, use with confidence. I know many who are currently using the 7D, including the Associated Press here in Nashville. The AP issued photogs the 7D to compliment their 5DII's and 1DMkIV's.
Great comment. The 7d seems to be the top VDSLR for a 1.6 crop body.