Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 13, 2010, 6:00 PM   #1

Default issues of Canon 7d overheating

I've read so many post from various forums on the 7d overheating that's difficult to discern whether the 7ds the earlier ones and/or later included. If you use or own a 7d please post any overheating issues you've experienced. This overheating issue is the only issue that has kept me on the fence. Thanks!
William Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2010, 5:04 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Nope, no problem at all with my 7D or 5DmkII in this respect. I guess you mean when shooting video/using live view. I did have it when shooting on a very bright day with 600mm f5.6 lens for a long time in the sun with the 500D but that's it.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 12:34 PM   #3
Super Moderator

it seems to be a problem in very hot climates (i.e. ppl that have experienced it were shooting in the amazon or in the florida everglades) when using continuous shooting or video modes for extended time periods. seems to be related to the weather sealing.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 1:04 PM   #4

Each day i read about new issues with the 7d. I was about to pull the trigger on this one, but better will wait.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 2:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
Each day i read about new issues with the 7d. I was about to pull the trigger on this one, but better will wait.
Why? The 7D is a very solid tool. For every person who claims an issue there are thousands who have not. Overheating can happen to most any digital SLR while shooting in video mode.
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 5:22 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Yes there are people who have problems, it's the same with any camera, and these are generally the people who shout loudly, not those who are happy.

I'm a happy 7D owner and have used it in a variety of areas and compared it to my 1DmkIII for sports work and my 5DmkII for general use. It doesn't beat either of them but it is a good compromise camera.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 5:44 PM   #7

No problems with overheating even in the everglades but its been kinda cold. Love my 7D.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 9:24 PM   #8

Comments very much appreciated.
An interesting image review of the 7d.

And another 7d image analysis.

Good grief the XSi at 12mp seems to be better than the 7d.

Last edited by William Richard; Mar 14, 2010 at 10:17 PM. Reason: added 2d url
William Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 3:06 AM   #9

I am just guessing the over heating is due to LIVE mode or video mode. Mark III gets so hot when i shoot it remote, live using the EOS utility.

New hobbby is to get the camera set up for some squirrel shooting using the 150mm macro....

heres one..

Last edited by nymphetamine; Mar 15, 2010 at 10:37 AM. Reason: added a picture link
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 6:46 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Richard View Post
Comments very much appreciated.
An interesting image review of the 7d.

And another 7d image analysis.

Good grief the XSi at 12mp seems to be better than the 7d.
For everyone who says it is weak then others say it is strong. The conclusion of the 2nd review you give is:
"Overall Conclusion: The Canon 7D easily bests the Canon Rebel XSI
All smoke, no fire. Time to go home folks, nothing to see here."

There are many possible issues, the lens in the tests might not have been able to resolve for the higher resolution sensor, a lower pixel count will nearly always look sharper, when I go back to some of my Konica Minolta 5D shots which were 6mp they look great, but for larger printing the newer cameras will kill it.

Also, when printing will you be pixel peeping or will you just be looking at what will be a very good shot, only limited by the glass and the photographer. I've sold work using a range of cameras from the KM5D as mentioned through to my current selection of Canon bodies used for sports and weddings. The 7D is among those cameras, it isn't the best at sports (my 1DmkIII is) and it isn't the best portrait camera (my 5DmkII is). What the 7D is, is a very good all round camera capable of shooting high end sports and lovely portraits. Added to that you get great video too and wonderful handling. If you don't need video, the better AF system, top end handling, then look at the 50D or something smaller. If you want what a lot of magazines are calling the best APS-C camera currently out there then that's the way to go. I agree too about that statement. I've played with Nikon D90's, D300s', and all the Canon range leading up to the 7D and it was good enough for me to put in the stable next to my Pro level bodies.