Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 29, 2003, 10:19 PM   #1

Default Digital Rebel: Can I Direct Copy Images to Explorer?

Can I Direct Copy Images to Explorer without needing to install Canon's drivers and proprietary software?

A close friend of mine gave me some experience with his Canon EOS D60. Thinking it would work like my Nikon, I plugged in the USB cable to the camera and to my Win 2K computer. To my surprise, instead of a disc drive appearing in Explorer, I was prompted to install a whole suite of applications just to read the images. Needless to say, this is an unacceptable condition to me, as I am already spoiled by the relative simplicity of using my Nikon 5700 in the direct copy manner.

For kicks, I installed the software for my friend's D60, but found that I had to read images individually and the process was labor-intensive. I could not imagine copying 200+ images this way.

So my question is whether this constraint applies to Canon's newest D-SLR, the EOS300D (Rebel)?

Related to this, has anyone found a way to direct copy from the camera without extra software and without having to buy a reader for the flash card and remove the card from camera?

Thanks for any helpful input from folks who've dealt with this issue before.
mweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2003, 10:23 PM   #2

Hi mweiss, not having done that, I believe with winXP, all you need is the WIA drivers provided by canon on the CD to get the images from the CF card. Upon connecting the CF card, winXP will ask you what you want to do with it.

Although, there's so many nice software bundled in that CD that its almost a crime not to use them, but as you request, winXP can manage to get these images directly.

Ciao
Eric CAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2003, 11:30 PM   #3

Can I do this in Win 2000? We are completely standardized on Win 2000 here. I have a laptop with XP, but I'm about to do a format and install 2000 on it as well.

We're in the Win 2000 / PhotoShop 7 configuration since last summer (recently upgraded from Win 95 and installed all new hardware). PhotoShop does everything we need, even reads EXIF data, which was sorely missing from the images I got from my friend's D-60. Apparently the software doesn't save EXIF data in the final image format.

What I'd prefer is to be able to connect to the camera through USB, and see the drive contents and just copy the whole thing over and walk away while it copies a gig of images to the HD. Hopefully there is a way to do this on Win 2K without installing any additional software.

For my Nikon, I just plugged it in, and Windows found the hardware, did an instant configuration of whatever it needed, no discs to load, and was ready to read the camera's flashcard contents as another 'removable' drive letter. I have a major phobia of installing 3rd party software that I don't need, because I am trained in PhotoShop and try to keep my PC's registry down to minimum size by installing only the apps I am trained on and avoid all the bundled apps that I may never use. A direct file copy is so quick and hassle-free, so I would prefer it greatly if the Canon Digital Rebel had a mode where the images can be directly copied to another drive.
Old Nov 30, 2003, 12:15 AM   #4

I would say yes, since ur Nikon was doing it.

Btw, if you can get a cf card reader, this is way faster than using the camera to transfer images to the pc. My own experience shows easily a 200% increase (dont know the real figure) of quickness.

Ciao
Eric CAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2003, 12:19 AM   #5

You'll be very disappointed with how slow USB is. Remember the Digi Rebel is USB 1.0 only. You'll be able to watch The Godfather parts I, II and III while copying a gig

Zoombrowser will also do something Windows alone cannot do: rotate the image to the correct orientation! Apparently the Digi Rebel has a sensor which identifies how the camera was oriented and tags each shot appropriately. This has saved me countless hours of manually rotating images to prepare them for web pages etc.

I have a firewire CF reader for my deskside machine and a Delkin Devices high speed CardBus reader for my laptop. You can have them when when you pry them from my cold, dead fingers!
echaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2003, 1:14 AM   #6

i don't need to because i have both too.

pull the card out and slap it in a reader. even a usb1 reader is faster the the camera itself plugged into the port. look at the camera battery power you would be wasting doing it that way too.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2003, 2:12 AM   #7

Thanks for all the interesting replies.
It appears that there really is not currently a way to read directly from the camera, a la Nikon, at this time.
I might consider a CF card reader, although I've had a lot of bad experiences with removing media from the camera and inserting it in readers. That was with SmartMedia cards, and I've had 3 of them go bac on me. Since my Nikon has a CF card internally and the USB port, I have not taken the card out of the camera since the day I received it. And so far, no card failures.
I like being able to copy directly from the camera. I know it takes up to 20 minutes or more to transfer a whole card from teh Nikon to the HD, but that's not much of a problem to me now. The convenience is nice, but then I could go either way.. although the CF card connectors seem very delicate and frequent removals worry me.
Old Nov 30, 2003, 9:16 AM   #8

i have 5 total CF cards that swap out of 3 cameras. not an issue at all.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2003, 2:36 PM   #9

Well considering the SmartMedia in my Oly C2000Z just came up "no card!" when I attempted to use that camera for some dangerous work on the roof today, I will have to concur that the cards can even go bad without physically removing them from the camera. Although the camera won't read another card I tried either, so maybe the camera's card reader went bad. It was stored in my desk drawer for several months.