Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 17, 2010, 10:32 PM   #1

Default T2i Video troubles

I've been shooting some 1080p video but I find that my software doesn't like it so much (Pinnacle Studio 12). I've been forced to convert it to a smaller resolution to get it into the program.

Any advice for editing the 1080p files?

Thanks

Jim
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2010, 10:41 PM   #2

what system do you use. I use a mac, and imovie has not issue with the 1080p from my t1i.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 7:43 AM   #3

I'm working from Windows Vista. I'm contemplating an upgrate to Pinnacle Studio 14 (the upgrade to version 12), but I'm not convinced that will make a difference based on their specs.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 7:54 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Jim, it is a problem that all of us using PCs have. I convert the files before editing using FFwin which helps a lot and there isn't any noticeable difference as long as I don't compress.

It's the same issue with my 5DmkII, 7D, Ti1 and SX1 IS, and is caused by the format of the .mov file that PCs just don't like. Mac users have it really well and I was going to get a Mac for this very reason.

If you want something that will play the files smoothly straight away so you can view them without being jurkey then I use Splash Lite.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 12:09 PM   #5

I have two Windows 7 laptops and a Windows 7 Desktop. No issues with playing the 1080p movies taken with my 7D without any modification. Maybe its an OS issue ? For editing you might look at Vegas Movie Studio HD . $39 for the download version but check out the trial first and see how its features suite your needs.

Exactly what issue is it when you say you have trouble getting it into Pinnacle?

Last edited by Widowmaker; Mar 18, 2010 at 12:17 PM.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 12:34 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Widowmaker, Win7 does a better job in playing the h.246 files than previous versions of Windows so you should be fine.

When it comes to editing none of the Win packages are seeming to edit smoothly without first converting format.

Jim, the place I go to for most info on working with the Canon dSLRs in movie making is http://www.cinema5d.com where they are dedicated to this. There are great software tutorials etc and a bunch of very knowledgeable people.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 1:30 PM   #7

Widowmaker- The problem is in getting Pinnacle Studio 12 to recognize and import the video into the program. It will recognize 640x480 in the .mov format, but not the HD .mov files.

I tried to reformat the files with an AVS tool ,but the results were disapointing. Mark, I'll take a look at the 5d website for more help. I'll also pester the Pinnacle website to see if their newer version 14 accepts mov in HD. I'll report back if I learn anything.

Thanks All!
Old Mar 18, 2010, 1:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa_jim View Post
Widowmaker- The problem is in getting Pinnacle Studio 12 to recognize and import the video into the program. It will recognize 640x480 in the .mov format, but not the HD .mov files.

Thanks All!
Oh ok... I actually had pinnacle studio last year I believe but not sure what version. I had problems with 1080p as well but I was also on an XP machine. I have no issues on Win 7 with Vegas Movie Studio HD. If all else fails, give the free trial a go.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 5:42 AM   #9

I've been using Adobe Photoshop Premiere 8 and Windows 7 64 bit with no probs, but it is jerky in preview. Once converted and edited etc. no problems.
Percyprod is offline   Reply With Quote