Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 29, 2010, 8:22 AM   #1

Default Canon XS os XSi from 35mm Rebel

Well, My wife and I had been suffering from poor results with a little point and shoot and I finally convinced her that we needed a good digicam.

I ruled out the superzooms because I just wanted to make sure I got something I will be happy with in the long long term.

After further research I am thinking I will get the XS or XSi. I actually have a sigma zoom lens that is intended for digital cameras that I had been using on my Rebel G (35mm) camera.

Anyone know of any good deals? Refurbs?

Last edited by stickboy2k; Mar 29, 2010 at 8:26 AM. Reason: removed question answered in another thread.
stickboy2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2010, 8:28 AM   #2
Super Moderator

The lenses will fit, but they will give a different field of view due to the sensor of the dSLRs you are considering being smaller than 35mm film. So you are only using the middle of the lenses.... generally helpful for sharpness, but also will probably mean your kit lens will be too long for the normal photos you are used to. I would honestly get the kit lens when you buy a new Canon as it does a good job, likely quite a bit better than your previous kit lens.

What sort of things do you like to photograph, as this might be a reason to change bodies?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 8:38 AM   #3

Thanks, Mark.
I found the lens answer in another excellent post.

Mostly family stuff, but I will definately be shooting some birds, my roses, etc as well.
Also UFOs if I see any.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 8:50 AM   #4

I found refurbs (with a lens) on Adorama that are in my price range so I may do that.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 9:19 AM   #5

Adorama is a good place to get canon refreb. I have brought referb lens from them before. Also the kit lens will give you a decent wide angle with the 18-55. At the wide point it will be about 27mm. What lenses do you have with the rebel g.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:03 AM   #6

I have a sigma ??-200mm which is the one made for digital, and the crappy kit lens that came with my G.

Funny thing about the kit lens. The autofocus broke on it at some point so I took it apart and fixed it. It wasn't easy and I know there is dust and such in it, but it doesn't show up in the pics so I was happy. Our Rebel takes so much abuse it is sad, but I just love it. I am sure I will love the XS as well.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:06 AM   #7

I would go with the xsi it is a better camera, and has a really good sensor. It has better image quality the the 10mp of the XS. If the kit lens on you G was the 50mm 1.8, it is actually a pretty good little lens. It give you some nice shallow DOF shots.

But it takes some big dust to really to show up in the photo. So it is not to surprising that you do not see it on your shots.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:15 AM   #8

Thanks,

I will look at the XSi first.
Yeah the kit lens is the standard 18-55mm. I have always wanted to get a 1.8 if I ever got into this more.

I am just terminally cheap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
I would go with the xsi it is a better camera, and has a really good sensor. It has better image quality the the 10mp of the XS. If the kit lens on you G was the 50mm 1.8, it is actually a pretty good little lens. It give you some nice shallow DOF shots.

But it takes some big dust to really to show up in the photo. So it is not to surprising that you do not see it on your shots.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:37 AM   #9

ebay they go for about 60 dollars vs 100 new. It really works nicely for the price.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 2:04 PM   #10

Ok,
After way too much shopping and reading I think I know what I am going to do.
I *think* I am going to get the XSI body (refurb) and a 50mm 1.8 prime lens seperately.
Is that a good idea or is it better to have the 55mm kit lens?