Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 29, 2010, 7:39 PM   #11
Administrator

Actually, the body based system in the latest Sony models outperforms the Sigma OS system from test results I've seen.

Amateur Photographer Magazine did a test in their January 21, 2010 issue comparing stabilization systems, including body based systems using models like the Pentax K7, Sony A550 and Olympus E-620

For the Pentax and Sony models, they included tests using the Sigma 50-200mm f/4-5.6 DC OS lens, to compare the effectiveness of body versus lens based stabilization with the same lens, measuring number of shots that were sharp at various shutter speeds, measuring the increase in resolution each stabilization system provided.

The Sigma OS system in the 50-200mm f/4-5.6 DC OS performed much better than Pentax SR (Shake Reduction), but it was beaten by the SSS (Super Steady Shot) system in the Sony A550.

I'm seeing similar results elsewhere. For example, dpreview.com's test of the A550 with it's 18-55mm kit lens showed that 70% of it's shots were still sharp at 1/15 second on the 55mm end of the Sony 18-55mm kit lens, and roughly 60% were still sharp at 1/6 second, while still able to get 30% of it's photos sharp all the way down to 1/4 second.

Yet, if you look under their lens reviews for the Canon 18-55mm IS lens, it was down to 60% of it's photos in the sharp category on the long end of the lens by the time you got to 1/13 second, and down to around 20% of it's photos in the sharp category at 1/6 second (where the Sony A550 still had 60% of it's photos in the sharp category). They didn't test it at slower shutter speeds (or if they did, they didn't publish the results).

IOW, the Sony A550 still had more photos in the sharp category at both 1/8 second and 1/4 second compared to Canon 18-55mm IS lens at 1/13 second (the Sony in body system in models like the A550 using a 18-55mm kit lens is more than a stop better than the Canon 18-55mm lens with IS built into it from tests I've seen). Both of these systems (Canon lens based stabilization, and Sony body based stabilization) outperformed the Pentax SR body based system by a pretty good margin in more than one test (tests done by Amateur Photographer Magazine and tests performed by dpreview.com).

From what I can gather from reading multiple tests using different lenses, you can expect a high percentage of images to be sharp at approx. 1 stop slower shutter speeds with the Pentax SR (body based) System compared to images without stabilization turned on, with a high percentage of shots to be sharp at 2 stops slower with the Canon IS (lens based) system, with a high percentage of shots to be sharp at 3 stops slower using the Sony (body based system), when testing newer models like the Sony A550. Usable (i.e., only mild blur) images were at higher percentages from all of these models.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 8:10 PM   #12

But that is on the low end canon lens, the higher end system seems to work a better like the ones in the canon 70-200mm 2.8 IS or the 70-300mm IS. Think there are some lenses with better system and others. I would suspect the 17-55 would be better then the 18-55 lens in the IS department.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
So it not a blanket statement,
Quote:
... And the lens do out perform it a bit. It is close but is does give about 1/3 to 2/3 of stop in ability,
That's a blanket statement.

Some lenses outperform some bodies, but some bodies outperform some lenses. And of the three major brands of dSLRs that offer sensor shift image stabilization, Pentax is generally beleived to have the least capable system, just in case it was a Pentax body you were talking about.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:51 PM   #14

But we are talking about the canon t2i with the 17-55. And the canon lens are quite good the further up the chain you go. Don't know why pentax got push into this thread. I shoot couple canon IS lens, and I can tell you the better ones do preform better.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:56 PM   #15

Quote:
But that is on the low end canon lens, the higher end system seems to work a better like the ones in the canon 70-200mm 2.8 IS or the 70-300mm IS. Think there are some lenses with better system and others.
So you agree that what you said before was a blanket statement, and wasn't necessarily valid for all lenses?

Quote:
I would suspect the 17-55 would be better then the 18-55 lens in the IS department.
Actually, the one in the 17-55/2.8 is likely to not work as well as the one in the 18-55/3.5-5.6. Lens based image stabilization involves quickly shifting optical elements in azimuth and elevation to deflect the light path so as to compensate for camera shake. That's harder to do with a large aperture lens than a lens with a smaller aperture, because the size of the elements used to deflect the optical path take longer to move and are harder to stop. That would make it less effective.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 11:04 PM   #16

I answer the op question on the canon. It is a very good IS system and with the higher grade lens the IS is better. So my bet is with canon that they found away to make the IS better in the 17-55 then the 18-55.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 11:13 PM   #17

Quote:
I answer the op question on the canon. It is a very good IS system and with the higher grade lens the IS is better. So my bet is with canon that they found away to make the IS better in the 17-55 then the 18-55.
It's not your money you're betting with.

Certainly, having image stabilization is better than not having it. And that is what the OP asked. Splitting hairs and blanket generalizations don't help anyone.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 11:23 PM   #18

But it is a very good system in the canon, so it is not a blanket statement. And form my personal experience with 2 IS body system form 2 different companies, the in body IS slightly behind the lens IS by only 1/3 to 2/3. Not the full 1 f-stop or more form those reports. So 2 out of the out the 3 of the inbody system brands are behind the lens system. Sony may have the best inbody IS, but to give it a honest test you need to put it up against every canon IS lens or nikon IS lens. And you will need to tested it against the A3XX line up too. As the a550 and a500 is more inline with the 50D then the T2i. They are higher grade camera.

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 30, 2010 at 9:39 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 3:37 AM   #19

i had the Olympus E-520 for a while with the Bigma. It was 10 times lighter than canon and 500mm lens and with a mere addition of a flash i was enjoying the lightest 1000mm lens with IS.

I think Body IS is the way to go in the future. And i am sure lens IS will completement the Body IS in the future. May be a year or two down the line.

Olympus Body IS is good atleast for me
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 5:01 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
That's a blanket statement.

Some lenses outperform some bodies, but some bodies outperform some lenses. And of the three major brands of dSLRs that offer sensor shift image stabilization, Pentax is generally beleived to have the least capable system, just in case it was a Pentax body you were talking about.

TCav, you wrote "Pentax is generally beleived to have the least capable system". Would you be willing, please, to explain what you mean? Don't mean to detract from the this thread... so if you want to PM me, that is fine. I am serious considering purchasing a Pentax. Would like to know what you are saying here. Thanks. Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote