Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 13, 2010, 5:40 PM   #31

you are probably right but the problem is that i find the noise on the A200 bad at 100 let alone 400, 800, 1600 that is needed to get decent shutter speeds with my lens, the Sigma 28-300mm.

I think you are right about holding the H9, i do find it easier to hold that camera steady.

I put the new Tamron 28-300mm VR lens on the Canon 550D and got some really nice images. thought the IS was much better than my set up but then again that was probably a subconscience level as you see the IS with optical but you don't with the sony in body stuff. and then when i was looking at the images the camera was often choosing ISO 1600 or 3200 (it was in a dark store) but the photos were a lot less noisy than with my A200 playing around at ISO 200/400. Always shooting in raw.
p_loadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 5:52 PM   #32
Administrator

Yes, the Canon 550D will have lower noise levels than the A200 at a given ISO speed. The 10MP sensor in the A200 is not the best if you need to shoot at the highest ISO speed settings (although it's much improved over the older A100).

The newer 12MP and 14MP CMOS Sensors from Sony much are better in that area compared to the 10MP CCD sensor in your A200.

Note that if you are shooting raw with the A200, make sure to check out the newest 3.2 release of the Sony IDC software for raw conversion. I'm *very* impressed with it's Noise Reduction algorithms. See this Sticky thread I made this morning about it:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/so...-sr-3-2-a.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 3:14 PM   #33

cool, just had a little play with it and does cut the noise down quite nicely without loosing too much detial.
You can see that Sony knew how bad the A200 senor was with high ISOs as in Auto its upper limit is just ISO-400 where as when with the 550D its happy at 3200 on auto ISO.
What is the A550's upper limit on auto?
Does anyone know when Sony's new SLRs are coming out. i think they got announced at PMA, with their all new Exmor™ APS HD CMOS sensor which i think they said was another big step up in IS and finally adding video to their SLRs.
i am hoping that as Sony has the best Live View atm it will translate to really fast focusing unlike any of the Canon's i have played with.
Is it just not possible for an SLR to focus as fast as camcorders or do manufactures do it to keep the camcorder sector alive?
Old Apr 15, 2010, 7:32 AM   #34
Administrator

The A550 Auto ISO varies it between ISO 200 and ISO 1600. If you want higher, you'll need to set it that way (just press the ISO button and pick the desired setting).

As for Autofocus when using Live View, the Sony models focus just as fast when using Live View as they do when using the Optical Viewfinder. That's because of it's unique system with a separate Live View sensor in the Viewfinder Housing, allowing the camera to continue using it's dedicated AF sensor assembly for fast Phase Detect Autofocus when in Live View mode. With other dSLR systems (unless you want "mirror flipping" to focus), slower Contrast Detect Autofocus is used via the camera's main imaging sensor. As for camcorders, keep in mind that they have *huge* depth of field compared to a camera with a larger sensor size. That makes it easier to achieve focus faster, despite the use of Contrast Detect AF.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 4:36 PM   #35

thanks again JimC, Learning loads from you!

When in Live View on the A550 can you have continuous focusing on? How effective is it?

Like i said my only exprience of filming with SLRs is a little play around in the shop with the 5D and 550D but i must say i was expecting a lot more. I guess they are meant more for fixed focus, fixed zoom filming as trying to focus massively increased the brightness, often didn't get a lock and took forever (was using 15-85 USM lens) and trying to zoom smoothly was difficult too.

Maybe the new Sony's will make light work of the focusing part.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 4:48 PM   #36
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_loadwick View Post
...Like i said my only exprience of filming with SLRs is a little play around in the shop with the 5D and 550D but i must say i was expecting a lot more....
Whoa...

Define what you mean by "filming" as I usually see that term used with video capture. That's something entirely different than Live View. The Sony we're discussing has no video capture ability at all (it can only take still images).
Old Apr 15, 2010, 5:14 PM   #37

i am making the assumtion that the new Sony SLR will use the same Live View system with the extra sensor to allow phase change focusing and you would think that this system would allow the camera to record video whilst still using the phase change focusing.

my question about how good the continous focusing was while is Live View would give an indication of what the focusing might be like on the new SLRs.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 5:27 PM   #38
Administrator

We'll have to wait and see, as you can't judge a camera's performance based on press releases before they're even in production and shipping.

I've seen no firm information about what to expect in the newer Sony models they had mockups of at PMA (other than they'll have newer mirrorless models with AVCHD recording ability, and they're working on a replacement for the A700). Sony hasn't even published model numbers for them yet, much less specifications or details on features like their Autofocus system.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 7:54 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_loadwick View Post
i am making the assumtion that the new Sony SLR will use the same Live View system with the extra sensor to allow phase change focusing and you would think that this system would allow the camera to record video whilst still using the phase change focusing.

my question about how good the continous focusing was while is Live View would give an indication of what the focusing might be like on the new SLRs.
The live-view system is nothing more than a second sensor that "films" the focus screen. It can't be used for video because it simply because neither it, nor the focus screen, are designed for it. The main sensor would be used for future theoretical video recording, meaning the mirror would be up and the phase-change AF sensors blocked.

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 1:54 PM   #40

I see, thanks SirWired. Well it will be interesting to see how Sony will play the SLR video game.

The point I was trying to make about current Sony SLRs is that they are the only SLR maker (I believe) that don't need the main sensor to show you what you are photographing or videoing. This can only be a good thing and hopefully lead to some proper video capturing on SRLs as at the moment you can't refocus without totally disrupting the clip with seeking and over brightening.

Time will tell.