Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 29, 2010, 11:52 AM   #1

Default Best HDSLR with image stabilization

Hey Guys - I haven't posted on the forum in a long while...

I have been using a Sony DSC-V3 for quite a few years. I am in need of a major upgrade. I want a dSLR. I've got my eye on the Canon T2i. Here is the issue. I have an essential tremor. Meaning, my hands shake. Nothing crazy like you see some people with Parkinson's, but noticeable. To give you an idea, when I use my Sony Camcorder with image stabilization there is no noticeable camera shake in the video footage. It works very well. However, when I use my Sony DSC-V3 (no image stabilization) my pictures often suffer if I don't use a tripod in low lighting. I know its my tremor because I can have someone else take the same shot and it will turn out fine. And yes, I know a tripod and a better flash will solve my problem, but that is not always practical.

So I'll get to the point. After some research, I realize the Canon T2i does not have built in image stabilization. However, there is some sort of image stabilization built in to most of the lenses. Also, I believe the Sony alpha has image stabilization built into the body of the camera. That might be the best option. I know from using the Sony camcorder that Sony has excellent image stabilization technology. However, I really llike the looks of the Canon T2i and would love to give it a try if the lens based image stabilization really does the job. Can you guys tell me what you think?
stallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2010, 12:04 PM   #2

the alpha's do not have HD video. But lens IS do out perform body is. But if you want HD in your dslr, the canon t2i is the best option as you can use it with an external mic. Which is a very good feature if you plan on focusing it as you shoot. And it is at full HD 1080.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 12:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
... But lens IS do out perform body is.
That's not true.

While IS in some lenses outperforms IS in some bodies, the reverse is also true, and such blanket statements are unjustified.

And, btw, two new Sony Alphas are due in the next few months that will support AVCHD.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 1:00 PM   #4

Thanks for the responses. I am in no hurry. I can wait a few months if needed.

Can anyone tell me specifically about the current Sony alpha body based IS vs. Canon lens based IS? Specifically, this is the lens I am considering from Canon: http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=12955
stallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 1:07 PM   #5

The number of objective tests done on image stabilization systems is small, so most of what you'll hear is anecdotal. What I will say is , if that's what you're looking for, the Tamron 17-50/2.8 is about as good and cheaper, and on a stabilized body, like a Pentax or a Sony, would do quite well. And the current Pentax bodies will record video.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 1:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
That's not true.

While IS in some lenses outperforms IS in some bodies, the reverse is also true, and such blanket statements are unjustified.

And, btw, two new Sony Alphas are due in the next few months that will support AVCHD.
That is in a few month not now that the camera is coming out, also it will be untested. And I have both a IS lens system and IS body system now. And the lens do out perform it a bit. It is close but is does give about 1/3 to 2/3 of stop in ability. So it not a blanket statement,
Old Mar 29, 2010, 2:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallen View Post

Can anyone tell me specifically about the current Sony alpha body based IS vs. Canon lens based IS? Specifically, this is the lens I am considering from Canon: http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=12955
From early reports, it is a very good lens, and it uses the USM motor, so it is faster to focus. And based on the IS system from my 4 canon zoom lenses. It is probably equal to them. But not to many people have this lens yet, as it is only a couple of month old.

But having shot a inbody IS vs lens IS side by side for the last month. The lower grade IS in the conan EF-s 55-250 on my t1i is about 1/3 of a stop better the when I shot my epl-1 with the panny 45-200mm with the inbody IS on and lens IS off. I get similar results when I turn the inbody IS off on my epl-1 and the lens IS set to on, about 1/3 to 2/3 better depending on how relax I am. And when I compare it to my ef 28-135 and ef 70-300mm. The lens IS was still at least 1/3 of a stop better then the inbody IS of my EPL1. All these testing were done with live view. I expect similar results when I get the EVF for my epl1 comparing VF to EVF with the different IS. But all these were testing on the end of the long zoom. When I was shooting on the shorter end, it was almost equal, maybe only a 1/3 difference if that.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 2:47 PM   #8

Because my hand are also quite shaky, I shoot with a monopod most of the time. I'll put the camera on the monopod and then rest the camera against my forehead. It's makes an amazing difference.

When I shoot in portrait (vs. landscape) I still use the monopod, even though it isn't screwed into the camera (or the lens, whichever).

I am not trying to say that you don't need IS. I am saying that you might want to use a monopod in addition to your IS. Mine is quick, easy, doesn't get in the way and makes a nice walking stick too.
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 3:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallen View Post

This is a very good lens. Sharp wide open and the IS works great. Even though this is not an L lens, from experience I find it to be sharper than several L lenses. Basically this lens has L optics, just not L build. The build is still excellent though.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 3:33 PM   #10
NHL

Actually, it doesn't matter if a body has IS...
You can turn it off and use the lens IS instead (like on the newer Sigma)

-> On lenses that do not have IS, like most short primes, then uses the in-body IS - i.e. your choice!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote