Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 13, 2010, 11:03 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Your kit lens are not fast enough to focus for action. Also for shooting action are you using AI Servo? That way the camera keeps focusing when you have the shutter have press, it will keep focusing.
I didn't realize the kit lenses were slower (you are referring to focus response, not aperture, I assume?)...but yes, I was using AI Servo at least some of the time. I'm a little confused how it works, so I also tried One Shot and focused on the spot where they were going to be jumping into the pool. To use Servo, I would have to focus on the person initially and then keep tracking, right?
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 11:09 PM   #22

Yes with AI Servo, keep tracking the subject.

Yes I am taking about the focus speed with the AF of the kit lens. You can tell most fast focusing canon lenses with USM. They focus faster then the standard dc motor that is in the kit lens. The kit lenses are not idea for action.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 7:20 PM   #23

Default This is an awesome thread...

I learned a lot by just reading this thread. Thanks guys for sharing your expertise.
rambilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 9:24 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Yes with AI Servo, keep tracking the subject.

Yes I am taking about the focus speed with the AF of the kit lens. You can tell most fast focusing canon lenses with USM. They focus faster then the standard dc motor that is in the kit lens. The kit lenses are not idea for action.
interesting! I didn't know that. I read how the kit lens was "pretty good," but I guess the reviews aren't necessarily applying the same standards as I would.

For the AI Servo, do you have to keep the button half pressed the whole time then? Does the same focus point have to stay on them? I think the manual said that just ANY focus point had to be on them, once you've locked in, but I don't get how that works! LOL I mean, what if something or someone else gets in between?
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 9:31 PM   #25

Yes you need to keep it half press to keep it focusing. If you release it will stop, and if you press it fully, it will still shoot if it is not in focus.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 12:02 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by javacleve View Post
Did you ever try the other lens? Were you in low light, by any chance? I was extremely frustrated with my T1i in low light until I chose a center point focus and locked it in by pressing the shutter release halfway prior to taking the picture. Then, once my subject came into view (they were moving), I pressed it the rest of the way and it was usually good.
yea i tried my other lenses and it did the same thing. then i sellected the center autofocus point and it did just fine. useing a 430ex2 flash with focus beam . it did better. i was not in low light, it was bright and sunny.
diz_gti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2010, 12:14 AM   #27

to many point can be a problem, especially with a clutter scene, as the camera will try to focus on the closest point. Allot of points are nice to have, if you choose your own. But letting the camera choose your point is just pot luck on where it wants to look at. If you look at the exif data on the shot, and you have a editing program that shows the focus points, it may surprise you what the camera pick if you let it do that aspect of the shooting.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 12:15 AM   #28

also did you do the firmware update to you t1i, it improves the AF accuracy form what I can tell.