Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 31, 2010, 2:54 PM   #1

Default T1i focus problem....

Im sure and am pretty confident when I say it is operator error. But it seems as though when I take a picture my subject always turns out fuzzy and out of focus. I switch between one shot, AI focus and AE servo with the same results. The picture will look normal but when i zoom in it is out of focus. I always have IS turned on and this is with both the kit lens and my macro lens. It is getting frustrating, is this a setting issue or all me. It doesnt matter if Im in full auto or Av or Tv and it does not happen every shot either but it seems more often than not. Any suggestions? I can also never get the auto focus metering points where I want them, I wonder if this has something to do with it?
Simtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2010, 3:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simtech View Post
I can also never get the auto focus metering points where I want them, I wonder if this has something to do with it?
Well, this grabbed my attention. If you are using ALL focus points then there are two parts to the problem:

First, did you get ANY focus points on your subject?

Second, did the camera actually use those focus points or did it focus on something else?

Software, including the software included with the camera, will display the focus points the camera used when you shoot in one-shot.

So, that's where I suggest you start - with an unedited photo you think the focus was off on. Then use software to overlay focus points on the image and see what focus point the camera used and whether or not it was on the subject.

Let's go from there. But do this with a shot in single shot (not ai-servo or ai focus as I don't think those focus modes will record the focus point used).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 3:01 PM   #3

not sure, but try using a center point on the auto focus. You can change it pressing the magnifying glass button on the upper right. The hit the up arrow to take it out of auto AF point. If you are having no OOF issues, then you may be inducing more shake then the IS can compensate for. If you are still having the OOF issue, send it to canon to have the AF check out. You will lose you camera about a week or so.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 3:22 PM   #4

I work mid shift so I am about to go to bed so I cant try the software thing. However, I just switched out of AF to manual and picked the center. I got one good shot and one still fuzzy. I would dare to say that I have a steady hand so I would hope IS could compensate. I can shoot a deer at 200 yards and drop it in one hit so I would think Im pretty steady. Hmm..... Ill try the software thing this weekend. I really hope I do not have to send the camera off. I would not be happy. Ill try somemore testing and see what happens.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 3:24 PM   #5

PS

I would also turn off the IS and shoot single and auto AF point with the camera resting on a table. If you have a remote release, use that if not use the timer. And see how the results are.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 2:07 AM   #6

Okay so i did some playing and looking at previous pictures. What is happeneing is it is focusing, just not really on what i want. Like my great dane, It focused on her nose and her eyes and rest of the face was fuzzy and like today I focused on a bee on a flower, the bee was fuzzy but the flower was crisp. I must have a setting wrong somewhere.....

I guess the whole point being is I can almost never get a full frame focus. Even in full auto...sometimes...

Last edited by Simtech; Apr 1, 2010 at 2:47 AM.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 3:34 AM   #7
Super Moderator

OK, so sounds like what you are experiencing is shallow depth of field (DOF) rather than a focus problem. Shallow DOF is something you won't really have experienced if coming from a P&S due to the small sensors (I won't go into the technical side now). With your dSLR this is something that you have to work with.... also it is a common reason why people don't like the photos they get with a dSLR when they first change up. After you are used to working with this you will find it will allow an extra level of creativity.

You will notice this effect the closer you are to a subject, or the longer the lens you are using, and when you have wider apertures (small f numbers).

If you want the full frame in focus you will need to use narrower apertures (big f numbers), be further from the subject and use a wider lens. The problem with narrower apertures is that you reduce the light going into the lens considerably, which is why in auto and indoors you will find that the camera doesn't select these otherwise you will have a blurred photo due to the shutter speed being too slow. Using flash can help with this, and using a higher ISO setting.

When it comes to using AF, I would say that 95% of us use centre point only (for the majority of the time.... or we will use another single point or group of points, but again this is going one step further), this allows us to choose where we want the camera to focus rather than letting the camera guess. So select centre point, put this over what you want to be in focus, then half depress the shutter, then once the focus is confirmed, keep the shutter half pressed and recompose so you have it framed as you like, then take the shot by completing the press.

I take it you are getting sharp landscape shots, normal photos outside etc?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 7:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
I take it you are getting sharp landscape shots, normal photos outside etc?
I am comming from a P&S and yes i always get confused with the lower the F stop the more light comming in and the wider the field of view and the bigger the F stop the narrower feild of view. I can really see how that could throw me off. However even my landscape shots, In AV mode will still come out fuzzy when I zoom in on the picture. Now could this be fuzzy becaue it is zoom in digitally because just looking at the photo it looks okay. I will try to upload a picture to show when I get home from work today to show you what is going on.

I played with my camera tonight at work and I can say that AF is not a problem as I got alot of sharp shots even when I zoom in after the shot on the LCD screen. I think between my DOF and not recomposing the AF I am comming up with fuzzy photos. I see I need alot of practice and I graduate with my masters in May and I need to figure this camera out and teach my wife so she can take good sharp pictures. Is there a good how to on DSLR's on the net that I can read?
Old Apr 1, 2010, 7:10 AM   #9

I hope this is big enough, I am looking back at pictures on my work computer and most look okay. But this one will show you what I mean.
Attached Images

Old Apr 1, 2010, 7:13 AM   #10

Does this look sharp to you? Am I expecting to much??
Attached Images