Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 1, 2010, 4:12 PM   #11

well there was allot of noise in the shot just reduce. So something happen when shooting or editing. I do not know exactly what though.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 5:38 PM   #12

waoldrifleman;

Can you post a shot with the exif data, or let us know what the setting were for the shot. Something does not seem right with that shot.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 7:46 PM   #13

In the morning I will post different version, I willtry to keep the EXIF data on it. For this last image I put the size to 1-1 and cropped a section out of it. that is probably not ht e proppere way to do a 100% crop (never done one before). I was using the Canon DPP software. th efirst image I had done the conversion from raw and then resized to 800x533. how do you leave the exif data on them?
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 7:48 PM   #14

Every program is different some will let you leave it in, some will strip it. I think my software strips mind out. So I just normally post the aperture, shutter speed, and iso info. And range if it is a zoom thing. That is pretty much what is really needed.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 8:17 PM   #15

You need to remember that an 18MP image (from a T2i) can tolerate a little more noise than a 15MP image (from a T1i), which can tolerate a little more noise than a 12MP image (K-x).

While I wouldn't make a habit out of shooting at ISO 6400, it's nice to know that you can if you need to, and can afford to do some post processing.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2010, 1:06 PM   #16

For comparing - this is a 3200 ISO picture, taken with Sony TX7 with 1/2.33" chip

DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 7:39 AM   #17

Again, a reduced image doesn't really help assess image quality. (See Why a resized photo is no use in showing camera quality )

Can you post a 100% crop?
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 8:51 AM   #18

Hmmmm ... how often do you print your pictures 40"x30" ?
How large is your monitor - 19.200 x 10.800 pixels ?

Practically makes pixel peeping no sense, also high ISO quality (use Noise Ninja or Neat Image for your 3.14159% of high ISO pictures) - or use a tripod ;-)

DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 9:40 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonalDuc View Post
Hmmmm ... how often do you print your pictures 40"x30" ?
How large is your monitor - 19.200 x 10.800 pixels ?

Practically makes pixel peeping no sense, also high ISO quality (use Noise Ninja or Neat Image for your 3.14159% of high ISO pictures) - or use a tripod ;-)
When you're making qualitative comparisons of sharpness and noise, pixel peeping makes more sense. Again, it's about the purpose of posting a photo. One could post a photo that just happened to be taken at high ISO and there's no need for large crops. The photo is the photo and should be judged on it's own merits. BUT, when you start talking about noise performance or sharpness between cameras or post to illustrate how well a camera is at high ISO, those 100% crops let people see the real story. Of course ISO 6400-12,800 100% crops won't look great. But it's how they look compared to others that matters.

In the real world, people still print photos. And, when talking about shots like the OP had - daughter's gymnastics, people can and do want to make 8x10 prints. And, in reality you're not always as close as you want to be so people can and do make crops of photos. So, viewing results at 100% crop allows people to guage just how well photos may stand up to cropping.

Quote:
also high ISO quality (use Noise Ninja or Neat Image for your 3.14159% of high ISO pictures)
As for this statement, I'm not sure what you mean. Are you suggesting that people only require high ISO for a very small percentage of shots?

That depends entirely on the user. Several people buy a DSLR with an express intended purpose of shooting youth sports. Just like the OP's gymnastics shot. Those activities take place in low light. The subject moves. So, tripod doesn't help. You need high ISO AND wide aperture lenses to have any success.

But absolutely not everyone needs to shoot at high ISOs. So discussions on high ISO performance aren't very relevant to those people. But for those of us who DO shoot at high ISOs, the discussions are relevant.

And while noise reduction programs like Noiseware, Neatimage etc. work great - they still need good detail to start with. Otherwise you end up with plastic looking people because there was only noise and little good image detail to begin with.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 10:39 AM   #20

Thanks John! I posted the shot originally just as an example of what ISO 6400 was in my T2i. Yes pixel peeping made it look really noisy. Here is another shot from the same day. this one was shot using my 85 F1.8.

Name:  20100401_39_1.JPG
Views: 731
Size:  54.7 KB
Camera Model Canon EOS REBEL T2i
Shooting Date/Time 3/15/2010 5:35:22 PM
Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/1000
Av( Aperture Value ) 1.8
Metering Mode Center-Weighted Average Metering
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 6400
Lens EF85mm f/1.8 USM