Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 3, 2010, 3:12 AM   #1

Default Canon T2i - video issues, please help!

I recently got a Canon T2i and a kit lens and seem to be having some issues with the video. For starters, in 720p mode there is a small bunch of aqua colored pixels near the top / middle of the videos. You can see it here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk_O9IjaaDw
Look above the dog's back and you should be able to see that aqua pixel bunch. It's there in every 720p video I've taken so it almost seems as if the camera is defective in some way. Or is it the lens that could be defective?

Also the video quality just doesn't seem to compare at all to what I've seen posted online on Vimeo and YouTube. My videos seem to have some sort of problem no matter what settings I use. These relatively low light videos like the example I posted above seem to be extremely grainy and some are so bad that they almost look like they were taken on a cellphone and not a DSLR. Yet I've seen videos online taken with no more light than a single candle that look incredible. And I've tried playing with all the manual exposure settings as well as throwing it into Auto and I still get the same grainy results in situations where I really don't think I should be.

So my question - is my Canon T2i somehow defective? The aqua pixels on the 720p videos certainly suggests that something somewhere on the camera or the lens is malfunctioning. Or is this all just operator error, meaning me. Again though, I've tried all sorts of combinations of manual settings and have also thrown it into full auto exposure and the camera seems to have some sort of problem in nearly every instance. Or is it all just the lens I'm using, is the kit lens so bad that it's useless for video purposes? I am a relative newbie at DSLRs and taking video with one so please bear that in mind!
stitch-jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2010, 6:07 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Yes, looks like some 'stuck' pixels to me so there is some sort of problem that I would suggest you get Canon to look at. If you got it from a good store then there is a chance they will switch it out (depending how long ago you bought it).

As for the noise, shooting a candle actually doesn't involve using the highest ISOs as you are exposing for something quite bright, I would give it a try with your camera before drawing a conclusion about noise from that.

When you start pushing the limits of a dSLR regarding ISO you are certainly going to see noise, so probably you are OK in this regard but the pixel issue is different.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 12:49 PM   #3

Thanks for your response Mark1616! I got the camera online from B&H a couple weeks ago so I guess I'll have to see what they or Canon can do in regards to those stuck pixels.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 4:32 PM   #4

BH will be open again on April 6 as they are observing passover. But canon is very fast if you choose to go that route. I recently has to send my T1i in for service, and they got the camera to me quickly.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ca...port-news.html
Old Apr 3, 2010, 10:36 PM   #5

Thanks shoturtle! Yeah, I saw B&H was closed over the holiday so I'll see what they or Canon directly can do for me come Monday. Knowing that there must be some kind of malfunction with the camera definitely makes me suspicious of the other seemingly off kilter results I've been getting with it.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 10:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch-jones View Post
Thanks shoturtle! Yeah, I saw B&H was closed over the holiday so I'll see what they or Canon directly can do for me come Monday. Knowing that there must be some kind of malfunction with the camera definitely makes me suspicious of the other seemingly off kilter results I've been getting with it.
Yes, your camera should have IQ matching the T1i. What kind of photo issues are you seeing?
Old Apr 4, 2010, 1:43 AM   #7

Well I primarily bought the camera for video so I must admit I'm not sure if there's any issues with photos!