Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 2, 2003, 4:35 AM   #1

Default 300D vs 10D

Has anyone compared images of these two cameras? I'm new to photog but have a good eye and find the Rebel images look soft. Steve says same great pics can be had with Rebel as 10D yet Canon uses a slightly different CMOS. Thanks!
Sean
tenfourk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2003, 4:55 AM   #2
NHL

Actually the Digital Rebel if anything is slighly sharper than the 10D at the default setting:
Quote:
* After I completed writing the review I found out from Canon that the EOS 300D's sharpness is actually twice as powerful as the EOS 10D. You need to bear this in mind when comparing the samples below. When we re-shoot this comparison with a production camera we will use a set of +1, +1, +2 on the EOS 10D.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos300d/page18.asp

Quote:
Spot the difference. Yes, it's almost impossible, the only noticeable difference is that the EOS 10D made a better job of automatic white balance. Apart from that color response, tonal response, resolution and sharpness are identical. This is hardly surprising as the EOS 300D uses the same sensor and image processing algorithms (or at least very very similar). Colors are good and about as true to the original scene as my eye can tell, resolution is very good as is sharpness and of course because these were taken at ISO 100 they have that trademark Canon CMOS 'silky smooth' noise free look.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2003, 6:28 AM   #3

Default wow !

I'm surprisedat that, and can only conclude I'm dealing with a dirty Rebel, or crap lenses on it. I have the sharpness boosted all the way up on my rebel, too. Thanks for the input. Looks like I'll be saving $ 500 or looking for another camera. Does the Fui line, ot any other comparable , boast a sharper image?
Old Dec 2, 2003, 7:16 AM   #4
NHL

Sharpness has more to do with lenses than the camera which only captures what it sees after the lens. How much contrast, glare/light loss, or aberration/distortion after a lens are pretty much proportional to how much care or cost a manufacturer put into it to correct for theses artifacts...

Also have you try to sharpen the images in post editing (ie you don't want to boost sharpness to much in the camera at the expense of details/noises, unless of course you're in RAW) ?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2003, 9:19 AM   #5

Default Re: wow !

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenfourk
I'm surprisedat that, and can only conclude I'm dealing with a dirty Rebel, or crap lenses on it. I have the sharpness boosted all the way up on my rebel, too. Thanks for the input. Looks like I'll be saving $ 500 or looking for another camera. Does the Fui line, ot any other comparable , boast a sharper image?

The camera body has little to do with the image quality. The lens is what makes the difference. If you were to take two pictures with the same lens and same exposure settings on each camera, you wouldn't see a difference between them. There are many variables that can degrade image sharpness, but unless you have a faulty or dirty sensor, I doubt it is the camera body.

The lens that comes with the kit can take some very sharp pictures provided that you focus sharply and shoot at a speed high enough to prevent any camera/subject motion blur. You didn't mention anything about how you're taking the pictures. Are you in full auto mode or are you taking control of the camera yourself?
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2003, 3:37 PM   #6

Default Thank you both.

I'll be switching out the cameras on a 28-135 IS canon lens that I was previously impressed with on my friend's 10D. Maybe my memory is kind as to his results. I'm not yet into the post production picture fix.
Maybe I'm looking for Hasselblad results from the 300D. When I shoot from 4 feet away, using all different exposures, flash, etc...I'm not seeing strong, sharp detail in the eyelashes. Am I expecting too much?
Old Dec 2, 2003, 4:43 PM   #7
djb

try posting a picture here for the pros to see.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2003, 8:16 AM   #8

Thanks all for your input. I have narrowed the problem to either operator error, and/or operator inexperience! Am getting the Rebel and saving for good glass one day and practicing holding the camera steady.