Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 7, 2010, 8:43 AM   #1

Default XSi technical questions

So i have had my XSi for couple of months now and I started noticing a few weird technical things, which I am not sure about.
With my kit lens 18-55 every once in a while when i look through the viewfinder while I am panning (left to right 90 degrees for example) i can see that what i see through it shakes rather violently. it is more than what i normally see when the AF motor kicks in. In this whole process i do NOT hold the shutter button at all. just panning. It almost seems that something is reacting to the inertia of the movement. but it doesn't happen too often.

Yesterday i was using my 50mm prime and tried using the A-DEP setting (dont to that often) and tried to focus on the ground. no problem there. but then i tried to focus horizontally on a target (tree) and the lens motor seemed to go in a fritz. started making a rather loud noise, like it was going into overdrive. Never focused, so i released the button and refocused and this time it worked. Could not reproduce the issue again though

so my question is: are these once-in-a-blue-moon anomalies or are they indication of hardware failure? if so, is it the body, lenses or both?
thanks
ronin2307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2010, 8:52 AM   #2
Super Moderator

The first sounds very much like the IS element reaching max then moving back, the 2nd I'm not sure about, poss for some reason it was hunting for focus to ensure the dof was covered.... I never use this mode so I have no experience to call upon.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 8:54 AM   #3

i am not familiar with the internal mechanics of the IS element(s), so I am not sure i truly follow you on that one. The fact that it doesn't happen all the time, gives me the feeling that something may be loose in the lens
Old Apr 7, 2010, 9:29 AM   #4

ronin..i have the xsi also and ive panned in adof and everyother mode and never got that from my camara...sometimes focusing threw the tree's it will try and search but thats just because of all the branch's and focus point...might be the lens...try it with each lens and see what happin's...it might narrow it down to what is the problem...ive went threw two 55-250 lens's the first one the is would jump all over the place and would float around...took it back and replaced it and so far so good....hope ya find the problem soon......not to say nothin bad but hope its just a lens and not the camara....good luck..
kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 9:44 AM   #5

yeah this didnt sound like it was hunting. it sounded like it needed an exorcist...the good news is i can keep playing with all the gear for a while and test stuff out, since my warranty has plenty of months left. worst case i send all of this in in the fall when i have less chance to get out and shoot and get it checked out