Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 13, 2010, 9:06 AM   #1

Default Brand new 550D sensor smudges, please advise

Hi guys,

I have recently ordered EOS Kiss X4 (550D) off ebay from a respectable seller in Japan. The camera came yesterday and everything looked great until I noticed a distinct spot/circle in the upper right corner of the HD video made with the camera:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_srnm...layer_embedded

Also visible on photos:

Full-size image:
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/9085/img0062c.jpg
A photo of the sky:
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/1793/img0441t.jpg

Following seller's advice, I tried to clean the sensor with an air blower. But what I saw certainly didn't look like dust. Here is a video of the Kiss X4 sensor, made with FZ35:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nqw_E6W0KI

I am now contemplating between returning the camera to the seller (a long way from western Russia to Tokyo and a lot of hassle in itself) for a refund or handling the problem myself. Maybe getting a partial refund from the seller for the time and money I'll spend purchasing a sensor cleaning kit and doing the job is reasonable? On the other hand, this is my first DSLR and I'm afraid I can damage the sensor if I try to clean it myself, which is not recommended in the camera's manual.

What would you do in this situation?

Thanks,
Vitaly
vitalyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2010, 12:11 PM   #2

Are those just spots of some kind on the sensor, or are those dents/physical damage? it's hard to tell in the video.

There's another possibility. Page 13 of my Canon T2i manual (which is the 550D in the US) states:

Quote:
About smear adhering to the front of the sensor
Besides dust entering the camera from outside, in rare cases lubricant from the
camera’s internal parts may adhere to the front of the sensor. In case visible
spots still remain after the automatic sensor cleaning, having the sensor cleaned
by a Canon Service Center is recommended.
Looking at your video again, it looks like "lubricant smearing" might just be what's going on here. The pictures the camera produces and the video of the sensor definitely looks like there's drops of some kind of liquid on the sensor.

I would contact Canon Support in Russia and see if they might be of any help. They may be able to clean the sensor for you. This would save you the trouble of sending it all the way back to Japan.

Last edited by scaredpoet; Apr 13, 2010 at 12:14 PM.
scaredpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 12:16 PM   #3

I would send it in for servicing. Or you can get a sensor cleaning kit.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 2:18 PM   #4

Thanks, scaredpoet! Very well noticed! No doubts left about what this is now.

Sending it for servicing locally won't be free, I guess, as in my case only kit lens comes with international warranty, while the body has domestic (Japanese) warranty.
I just opened a case asking for a full refund.

Sadly, as 550D is a really nice camera except maybe for a little plasticky feel...
Oh well, at least my FZ35 works just fine.

Thanks for your help, guys!
Old Jul 26, 2010, 1:10 AM   #5

Default What happened?

Hi,

I am an absolute beginner and bought the camera 2 weeks back but never got time to use completely (did only some test shots when I got it).
But now I went on a vacation and used it and I am devastated with results. If I shoot in very bright sunlight or telephoto (200mm+), spots similar to yours appear.
I have attached the file. I am so worried and scared. I spent a 1000$ and don't have any more money to spend on it. Is all lost?
Please reply.. I am in New York, USA
Attached Images

ngagemaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2010, 1:14 AM   #6

Does it happen only with the one lens, or with all the lenses
Old Jul 26, 2010, 1:15 AM   #7

Also how long have you had your camera?
Old Jul 26, 2010, 2:11 AM   #8

These spots are so pronounced they are definitely dust or smudges on the sensor. It may be just dust, though.

Have you tried running manual cleaning in camera's settings? It is usually quite effective against dust, but helpless against smudges. If none of these spots come off after such a cleaning, it's probably smudges.

To be absolutely sure, you can lock up the mirror, remove the lens and look at the sensor. The spots will be clearly visible under good light (e.g. flashlight).

In that case return the camera to the manufacturer/seller for a replacement. That's what I did. And got a new perfect camera.
Although, I was so pissed off at first at the seller and at the Canon.

If it's dust, you can clean it yourself with special sensor swabs and Eclipse cleaning solution. Or, if you changed the lenses carefully in a relatively dust free environment with camera facing down, etc. (i.e. are pretty sure it's not your fault), you can return the camera as well.

Good luck!
Old Jul 26, 2010, 7:04 AM   #9

If it's dust, you can clean it yourself with special sensor swabs and Eclipse cleaning solution..

Record(Shoot) delete data by shooting a plain white wall at say 200mm at F11 or F22 focussed to infinity. Use DPP to get rid of most of the dust.

Else go for the Eclipse solution and a swab. Its like cleaning your glasses, but just being ultra careful and soft. It takes very little practise and you can get rid of these smudges.

Last edited by nymphetamine; Jul 26, 2010 at 7:06 AM.
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 9:09 PM   #10

Thats not dust, its lubricant. Take camera back for cleaning.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote