Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:21 AM   #1

Default Which one to buy? Canon 5D or Canon 7D

Which one to get?

Canon 5D Mark II or Canon 7D

Which is the better option? They are both nice and I realize some people have both of these camera bodies in their possession.

I will probably purchase one of these within the next 2-4 weeks just not sure which way to go.

Last edited by conradcjc; Apr 13, 2010 at 12:56 PM.
conradcjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:01 AM   #2

It depends entirely on what types of photography you want to accomplish. The 7d will be the strong option for sports / wildlife. The 5dII is the strong option for portrait or landscape work. Now, the 24-105 is certainly a better lens than the 15-85. It's tough to get equal quality (sharpness, aperture, build quality and focus performance) for aps-c and still have true wide-angle. The 17-55 2.8 is the closest thing you've got to an L quality lens with any kind of reach.

But, again back to - what do you plan on shooting? These are really sibling cameras. In general you should go with the body that best matches your priority shooting requirements. Both are capable of doing everything, it's just each is better at certain things than the other.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:03 AM   #3

If you want higher resolution and greater detail go with the 5DMKII. As it is a Full Frame sensor. Way better low light and pretty much better in almost every other photographic aspect. Decent for action at 4fps.

The 7D will be a bit better with action as it is has a super fast burst rate. So you can capture the action better. Also with the 1.6 crop factor, it will give you the reach if you are a bit further away form your subject.

But if action is not as big a thing the 5DMKII is the better tool for pretty much everything else. If money is not an issue, the 5D would be my pick.

Last edited by shoturtle; Apr 13, 2010 at 1:30 PM. Reason: typo
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 12:34 PM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
If you want higher resolution and greater detail go with the 5DMKII. As it is a Full Frame sensor. Way better low light and pretty much better in almost every other photographic aspect. Decent for action at 5fps.
I believe that the 5D Mk II has a maximum frame rate of 3.9fps (which is an improvement over the original 5D, which was limited to 3fps).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 1:30 PM   #5

Thanks Jim, meant to type 4fps
Old Apr 13, 2010, 2:08 PM   #6

It should be pointed out the focus system on the 7d is better for focus tracking. So that is another area where the 5dII falls short in the comparison.

So to be clear - for action shooting the improved AF and FPS of the 7d make it a better action camera. The crop sensor with 18mp I believe also provides more resolution as well. So, if you were going to use that 100-400L to shoot wildlife - even stills, the 7d will serve you better.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 7:27 PM   #7

the 7D offers far better AF performance than the 5D2, and would be my pick in that comparison, especially if you're only going to have one camera. i own a 5D and love it - it's superb for landscape work - but the 7D is a better choice for all-around photography.

the 5D Mk II has more resolution than the 7D, and though the AF and frame rate aren't as good, it's probably a better choice for general and landscape photography due to its superior resolution (21Mp) and high ISO performance. unfortunately, it also costs about $1000 more than the 7D.

basically, if you're planning on a lot of landscape or portrait work, go for the 5D. if you plan to shoot mostly general photography, sports, or wildlife, the 7D is the choice hands down. for what it's worth, as soon as i can afford it, i plan to buy a 7D as a replacement for my 40D for wildlife work.

Last edited by squirl033; Apr 30, 2010 at 7:57 PM.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2010, 8:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by conradcjc View Post
Which one to get?
Canon 5D Mark II or Canon 7D

Which girl should I marry?

brown-haired Jeanette or blonde MaryLou?

... ask your mummy ...

best solution: HELLO-KITTY-CAM !
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote