Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 19, 2010, 11:29 AM   #1

Default Won't take picture manually at night?

Okay, so if it's really dark, or in a dark room my camera will not take pictures with out the flash on. I want to take long exposures to get in as much light naturally as I can, or in the case there is non, show that. The camera will just keep trying to focus but wont take... Any way to fix it?
Do you understand what I am asking?
L]
------------------------------------------------
xJoey Dubsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2010, 11:39 AM   #2
Administrator

How dark? What lens (as how bright your lens is will impact how well a camera can "see" to Autofocus)?

You may need to switch to manual focus if it's too dark to for the camera to focus without using a flash for focus assist.

If it's that dark, make sure you're using a tripod, too (and I'd take a few shots at various focus settings since it can be tough to judge focus in a dim viewfinder). You may also be better off going manual exposure (because if it's real dark, a metering system isn't going to work very well), and I'd also stop down the aperture a bit (smaller aperture, represented by higher f/stop number) for better depth of field.

By default, most cameras not going to allow taking a photo without a focus lock (although you can probably change that with a custom setting, you'd just get out of focus images trying it that way).

So, if you're trying to shoot in dimmer conditions with a dimmer lens (i.e., your typical kit lens), the camera may need to use a flash as a focus assist lamp. I don't know if you can use the flash for focus assist without using it for the actual photo or not. Perhaps some of our Canon users will chime in.

But, if it's that dim, you may need to use manual focus instead (or if you really need Autofocus, try to lock focus on a brighter area with more contrast using a half press of the shutter button, then reframe as needed before pressing the shutter button the rest of the way down). You'll want a tripod in conditions that dim, too (because your shutter speeds will be very slow). A brighter lens may also help.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 1:37 PM   #3

Never even thought to turn on MF... I'm an idiot..

haha.

I was trying to take a before and after picture of this...

I covered the flash with my hand on the first one, but you can see it still lit it up, haha.. That was my answer to do that, but with the 2nd picture, it took it fine.

I'll have to try again.
L]
------------------------------------------------
xJoey Dubsx is offline   Reply With Quote