Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 21, 2010, 9:00 PM   #1

Default A few hundred lighter now....

Well, for a while I was debating between the XSI and the T1i. I have the G11 and am thrilled to bits with the camera and its capabilities but wanted to experiment with a DSLR as well but didn't want to part with the money.

However, fate stepped in as did Revenue Canada with an adjustment in my favour....imagine that!

Did some research and Future Shop was giving up to 100 rebate on old cameras brought in. So, with that in mind and the fact that the G11's internal memory needed to be adjusted by Canon Canada so I'd be without for a few weeks, I made the leap. Went out and bought myself the T1i which was reduced in price and got the full credit for an old camera PLUS the girl threw in a 16gb memory card for free.

Now I just have to learn how to use the darn thing Any suggestions aside from reading the prerequisite material, etc is more than welcome. I haven't purchased any additional lenses aside from the kit lens. I figure I should play with it first and go from there.

Canon 5D III
50mm 1.2 L l 24-70 F2.8 L l 70-200 F4 L l 40mm 2.8 l 100mmL 2.8 macro

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Alainn...39490172728282
http://alainnbellephotography.smugmug.com/
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2010, 9:41 PM   #2
Super Moderator

http://www.dslrtips.com/

this site can be a nice start.

you will want to learn about depth of field first, since you have a dslr, this is going to be important to understand.

you will also want to brush up on your image editing skills. output from dslrs is lessed processed than you are used to. so you will want to learn the basics of increasing saturation, contrast, and especially a little sharpening. its not too difficult to get the basics of these things down, and from there you can move on to more elegant processing techniques.

in general, read the basics from the various tutorial websites/books, etc. and then experiment alot, when you have specific questions that arise then utilize our forums here as a resource.

congratulations, the t1i is a great cam, and enjoy the learning process.
-Dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 9:44 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterbug74 View Post
Well, for a while I was debating between the XSI and the T1i. I have the G11 and am thrilled to bits with the camera and its capabilities but wanted to experiment with a DSLR as well but didn't want to part with the money.

However, fate stepped in as did Revenue Canada with an adjustment in my favour....imagine that!

Did some research and Future Shop was giving up to 100 rebate on old cameras brought in. So, with that in mind and the fact that the G11's internal memory needed to be adjusted by Canon Canada so I'd be without for a few weeks, I made the leap. Went out and bought myself the T1i which was reduced in price and got the full credit for an old camera PLUS the girl threw in a 16gb memory card for free.

Now I just have to learn how to use the darn thing Any suggestions aside from reading the prerequisite material, etc is more than welcome. I haven't purchased any additional lenses aside from the kit lens. I figure I should play with it first and go from there.
Congrats on the new kit... I'm sure you will enjoy it

Also, very wise about just using the kit lens to get going with, lots of people go crazy with lots of lenses and wonder why they can't work anything out. Keep is simple, learn the basics and build from there when you know what you want to fill the gaps in the areas you can't easily shoot.

OK, things to be aware of, you are about to experience a shallow depth of field for the first time, stopping down is going to be needed for certain things, this will mean slower shutter speeds than for the same shot with the G11 (assuming same ISO was used). So you can increase the ISO if needed. You should be happy with the results up to 1600 ISO and probably 3200 so don't worry if you have to stretch it a bit.... however obviously keeping the ISO low is better where possible, but a blurred photo isn't good either.

OK, so the positives, you have the ability for a shallower dof LOL. This is where you can really start to get more creative than with the G11, you will be able to get the backgrounds more out of focus with people and other aspects of photography.

Apart from this (for now), play around with it, shoot lots, change settings and see what works what doesn't. Post some of your results with questions and you will get some helpful (hopefully) advice on improving the next time out!!

The T1i can produce some lovely shots, mine doesn't come out to play often (probably used 5 times..... don't ask, impulse purchase for video), but here is my fave photo taken with it. 600mm at f5.6.

Old Apr 22, 2010, 12:07 AM   #4

Try the Canon Digital Learning Center Online here. http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=HomePageAct
Excellent information on all aspects dSLR photography, easy to follow and go at your own pace. Of course Steve's is always excellent for advise.
I also have the T1i and hope to be posting photos again soon, I just changed over to MAC after my PC got nuked by parasites.

Cheers
Scottie
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 12:18 AM   #5

Hi guys,

Thank you very much for your replies. The sites will help tremendously and I plan on visiting all regularly ASAP! As always, your advice is spot on.

Mark....that's such a lovely photo. I can see why its one of your favourites

Canon 5D III
50mm 1.2 L l 24-70 F2.8 L l 70-200 F4 L l 40mm 2.8 l 100mmL 2.8 macro

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Alainn...39490172728282
http://alainnbellephotography.smugmug.com/
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 2:40 AM   #6

The video option is as attractive as the camera itself. A comparatively cheap camera has very good video option and for me its a great feature. Shooting kids and just switching to video manyt times gets some really funny things. T1i resolution is also very good.

The best way to learn photography with SLR is to start with a prime say 50mm F1.8 and learn to modify a shooting style. This includes composition and exposure. I still believe my initial three months of roaming around with canon 20D and 50mm helped me change my style with respect to framing and composing.
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 9:45 AM   #7

i was and still in the same camp as you and the guys around here recommended this book. I grabbed it last night at it is making a lot of things much more clear to me. Would highly recommend it.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 1:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterbug74 View Post

Mark....that's such a lovely photo. I can see why its one of your favourites
the T1i makes it VERY easy to make great photos.

I had a T1i as well, got it when it was first released, as an "upgrade" from my Canon 30D. I was actually in the market for a 50D, but saw that the T1i had similar resolution and included video and other features, so aside from losing a bit on the build quality, it just made better sense.

Sadly, the T1i was stolen. I have since replaced it with a T2i, and am happy with it as well, but if I still ahd the T1i, I'd be quite happy (and not several hundred dollars poorer, again).
scaredpoet is offline   Reply With Quote