Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 3, 2003, 7:05 PM   #1

Default 300D for Sports Shots

I have a Minolta 7i which takes great shots of my kids playing sports. I'm thinking about getting the 300D with the 55-X? telephoto lens for use exclusively for action shots (my assumption being the 6.3 vs 5.0 megapixels, and a telephoto greater than 200x will help me get even better pictures). I've been checking many forums re the 300D and one common complaint seems to be the focus changing even when 1 focus point has been picked and the shutter is half depressed. With my 7i on Shutter Priority, I either half depress the shutter or lock the exposure/focus on the point of the field I want to shoot, and almost always get a good shot. WILL THE 300D ALLOW ME TO DO THAT OR NOT? Thanks for your input.

Jeff
Jeff Mirkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2003, 8:35 PM   #2

Assuming you're using AF with the 300, you have an option of allowing the camera to choose the focus point, or you can select your focus point. Additionally, you can select manual focus and do it that way.

The Rebel has 3 focusing modes -- One -shot, AI servo, and AI Focus. You cannot manually chose which mode the camera will use, but the camera will when you select the exposure mode.

The Rebel also has focus lock.

The available focus/exposure modes can be confusing and is well beyond what I have mentioned. I think that most of the problems discussed are a result of not understanding what the camera is doing and how to set it to your advantage. Although the Rebel has basic point and shoot modes, I feel that if that is the type of photography you want that you'd be better suited with one of the basic point and shoot cameras. But if you want to have more control over your photos, you can't beat an dSLR.

Needless to say, if you choose the proper exposure mode and are familiar with the operation of the camera, I think that you'll be able to capture some great action photos.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2003, 12:53 AM   #3

Thanks. I'm assuming you have a Rebel 300d. I find it hard to believe that you can't choose the focus mode, but focus lock will do the trick, it's something I use with the 7i.

I agree with you. I think that sometimes people buy what they think is the 'best' camera but it turns out being out of sync with the type of photography they do. All of the options in the world aren't helpful if you don't know how to use them.

I think that the Rebel will be significantly better than my 7i (which produces terrific pictures) for the specific action photos I'm looking for. I plan to continue using the 7i for general and vacation photography because I don't want to lug around a big heavy bag and have to change lenses.

I like the fact that the Rebel is smaller and lighter than the other dslr's, and for my needs, I don't think I'll miss the bells and whistles it doesn't have.

Jeff
Jeff Mirkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2003, 3:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mirkin
Thanks. I'm assuming you have a Rebel 300d. I find it hard to believe that you can't choose the focus mode, but focus lock will do the trick, it's something I use with the 7i.

Jeff

They had to cut corners somewhere to make the cost $600 less than the 10d. This is one of those corners they took. It's one of those things that I have learned to work around, and while it would be nice to shift from evaluative to center weighted on the fly, I tend to do a lot of my work in the M mode, or either the Tv or Av mode. It is imperative that you learn to evaluate your scene for contrast and tonality. Otherwise, metering is going to think 18% gray every time!

Happy shooting
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote