Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 24, 2010, 11:34 PM   #1

Default Rebel XS and baseball shooting

So I got a Canon XS today. I was looking at the Sony a230 with 75-300mm telephoto from Costco for $550. Then I came across a Canon XS with the kit lens and EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III for $600. I thought the latter was a better deal so I bought it. I'm going to mainly be doing portraits and baseball/football. Then I started reading reviews on the 75-300mm and they weren't good. Anyway, I understand I wont be able to take professional quality shots with this set-up but is it really useless? Would the Sony be any better? Any advice welcome

Last edited by CDaq; Apr 25, 2010 at 2:05 AM.
CDaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2010, 5:17 AM   #2

First, no, the Sony wouldn't have been any better. The Sony A230 doesn't focus as fast as the Canon XS for sports/action/wildlife shooting, and neither of the two telephoto zoom lenses you're looking at are very good.

Both are reasonably good dSLRs for general purpose photography, but the XS is better for what you want to do, and neither lens would be good for what you want to do (or for most things, actually.)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 11:04 AM   #3

Thanks TCAV. So what would the 75-300 lens be good for? Are there any relatively affordable lenses that will get the job done? What type of defects can I expect if I use the 75-300 to shoot baseball in good sunlight?

Finally, I'm pretty new to dslrs so can you suggest any good resources (preferably on-line/free to get the basics of photography?
Old Apr 25, 2010, 11:33 AM   #4

The problem with inexpensive telephoto zoom lenses is softness and chromatic aberration. Softness happens anywhere, and to the uncritical eye, can be overlooked. Chromatic aberration is most apparent in areas of high contrast, and sports uniforms are that in spades. And because of the need for fast shutter speeds, the aperture is frequently wide open, and that's where CA is worst. Of the inexpensive lenses in that range, the best are the Tamron 70-300 Di LD and the Sigma 70-300 APO (though not for the Sony, for other reasons.) The Canon 70-300 IS USM and the Sony 70-300 'G' (for their respecitve bodies) are significant improvements over the lenses you mentioned, but they cost more than the camera bodies you're looking at.
Old May 1, 2010, 9:59 AM   #5

Default Some shots

So I took some shots with the crappy 75-300 lens:

Wicked curve ball here. The batter was way out in front.

Any comments other than the composition isn't good and the exposure is too high (those are things I can fix)?
Old May 1, 2010, 11:02 AM   #6

Timing on the second picture is pretty spot on. You captured the face well with a strong expression.
2morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2010, 11:16 AM   #7

Even though reduced images mask most optical flaws (see Why a resized photo is no use in showing camera quality), there's still a fair amount of CA, especially on the white uniform pants.

In addition, I think I'd have gone with a slower shutter speed. I prefer to see some motion blur on pitched balls and swung bats.