Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 21, 2010, 10:33 AM   #11

These are some samples with 350D + YN467 ... second curtain.

Pictures are automatic/Av/Tv/P .. flash always TTL, but with min. power till max.power.
I think, it works well.

DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 12:25 PM   #12

Ok, thanks...

In my case flash always fire and I do get pictures, but it syncs to first curtain, not second even when camera is set to second. This is best visible if you make 1+ second exposures - no flash when shutter closes. I can cure this problem using YN-467 as an optical slave in mode S1 to internal flash. It flashes both times and can fo as fast as 1/30 even on 6th power setting! They are amazing those flashes! Even despite that unpleasant thing with underexposure.
Whatever it is, I`m retracting my return claim on ebay. Now that`s obvious it`s just the way it is with 350D and 467. No one can get everything perfect paying next to nothing.
Again, thanks a plenty DonalDuc for your attention, help and tests!
Antonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2010, 4:30 AM   #13

Better luck with your next flash!
Old Jun 8, 2010, 6:27 AM   #14

Hi all, I found this thread via Google. I have the 350d and want to buy the YN467. I'm concerned now about underexposing. I cant find anything else on the web about this combo. The whole reason I'm buying a flash to begin with is my photos are always underexposed. I get the impression this flash wont be any good for me. I'm quite new to flash photography so I really dont understand much about it. Looking at the examples on the first page it looks like it doesn't perform very well? But the second examples look better.? I'm really not sure now whether to buy it. I just want something I can attach and forget (hence getting TTL). I need a flash mostly for portraits (children). Will getting the YN468 overcome this problem or is it more the camera?

Last edited by coffeegal; Jun 8, 2010 at 7:06 AM.
coffeegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 10:13 AM   #15

coffeegal-

I think it might be a dual problem. The XT (I own one) was well known for missing the focus "sweet spot" by just a tad, leaving you with rather soft images. The second part of the problem is your may be your flash choice. I have not been really pleased with the YN flashes.

My Canon EX420 and EX-430 are much better, and more dependable flashes that work really well with any Canon DSLR in the TTL mode. My EX-420 is 10 years old and still my old stand by. I have since migrated to the T1, but I still use those two flashes.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 2:57 AM   #16

hhmmmmm yeah I am rethinking. Thing is if there is a known problem of underexposure on the 350 plus possibly a problem with 2nd curtain. I'm just not sure now. As much as it's tempting I'll save so much money but if it's going to be full of frustration and not improve my photography then there isn't much point is there. Are there other third party brands that may be a good buy for the 350d? If I get the 430ex does that mean it will only ever be suitable for Canon SLRs if I want to upgrade at some point?
Old Jun 13, 2010, 2:22 PM   #17

coffeegal-

I use a Canon EX-420 that I purchased 6 years ago to go with my Canon G-1. There are however, lower priced, third party external flash units for your XT that are lower in price. Take look at the Nissan Di 622 at B &H.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2010, 3:32 PM   #18

Nissan is a car ;-) ... Nissin are not very cheap flashes :-)
Old Jun 16, 2010, 7:18 AM   #19

I will save around $120 if I buy the Nissan. But like donalduc I am worried about putting a car on my camera

Donalduc looking at your photos again. Yours are the only examples I have seen with the 350d. On the first page where you did the comparisons, but you only did the one comparison of the 550 to show the differences. Which power was the 550 taken at. Was it 4? Sorry I am new to flash photography, does it default to a certain power setting or is it selected by the TTL? Because it if was power 4, then there is a very huge difference between the two cameras using this flash

mtclimber I hear ya! I agree the Canon flash will marry the camera perfectly but sheez the price difference is making the YN so tempting!! But I hate hate hate under exposed photos.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 11:54 AM   #20

If possible I avoid flashing - because it makes unnatural colors.
Sometimes it is necessary to use flash, I've one Canon and - new - two Yongnuos, also two ring flashes for macro.

My Canons are 10D (first and veeeeery expensive), 350/400/450/550 :----|
also Olympus, Sigma, Lumix ...

Some years ago I had 2 analogue Konica SLRs for 20 years, now I have 1 new camera each three months :-(

I was a supporter of Kodak :-/ ... today I only support camera manufacturers.
I hate Sony, disliked memory sticks ... but now Sony was forced to use SDHC :-)