Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 19, 2010, 12:17 PM   #31

We originally began this discussion about the YN-467, but now in DonalDuc's photo I see the YN-468, which is the preferred flash? A little research turned this up.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Jun 19, 2010 at 12:51 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 11:07 AM   #32
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeegal View Post
Back again, just a question .. if I want to buy 3rd party attachments for the flash, is the YN the same as the Canons size?
It's my understanding from reading reviews and comments, and looking through diffuser listings, is that the Yongnuo YN-460, YN-462, YN-465, YN-467 and YN-468 all have approximately the same flash head size as the Nikon SB-800. For example, see this in the Flash Head section of a YN-465 review:

Quote:
It was a smart design choice to give the flash head the same dimensions as the Nikon SB-800, so there is an abundance of stofens, lightspheres, grids, snoots etc that all fit the YN-465 as well.
http://speedlights.net/2010/03/21/yongnuo-yn465/

Or, see this YN-460 II review showing multiple Yongnuo models (including the YN-468) side by side, where they appear to have approximately the same flash head size, and you'll see this:

Quote:
The fact that the flash head has remained the same means that its shape still permits to use light modifiers designed for the Nikon SB-800...
http://speedlights.net/2010/03/18/yongnuo-yn460-ii/

Also note that if you look at one of their Amazon listings for an SB-800 diffuser, you'll also see some of those Yongnuo models mentioned:

http://www.amazon.com/YONGNUO-Diffus...dp/B003OP09TU/

Or, if you look at one of their Ebay listings for a Yongnuo diffuser for the N-460, YN-462, YN-465, YN-467 or YN-468; you see their Nikon SB-800 diffuser in the listing text:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=150454571957

So, when buying third party diffusers, I'd probably look for products designed to fit the Nikon SB-800.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 5:46 PM   #33

I've two free gift diffusors for both YNs and they work well. They fit exactly.

It's the same diffusor like
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...571957&afsrc=1

PS: each YN of course has a removable diffusor screen.

Newest YN is YN560

http://www.hkyongnuo.com/e-detail.php?ID=275

Last edited by DonalDuc; Jun 20, 2010 at 6:10 PM.
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 6:27 PM   #34

Fantastic thank you Jim that is very handy to know.
Thanks Donalduc that looks exactly like the free diffuser that comes with the flash I purchased. I guess I will just wait until I receive it and experiment.
coffeegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2010, 9:28 AM   #35

So, DonalDuc-

Do you prefer the YN 468 with the LCD screen and motorized head or is the YN 467 essentially the same flash and power, without the LCD screen and motorized head??

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 21, 2010, 11:54 AM   #36

I've both YN460II and YN467 and use both with all my cameras, for Canons preferring YN467/Canon of course.

I find it's best solution if I use NO flash. My Canon 550EX has LCD, but it is not so (fast) readible like YN's LEDs.

Some people think, if they have an expensive camera, then they also must have expensive equipment. Do simple things simply. Use brain, not money.

YN467 hat auto zoom 24mm-85mm - look

YN460 II has higher GN 38/53

Last edited by DonalDuc; Jun 21, 2010 at 12:04 PM.
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2010, 12:01 PM   #37
Administrator

From what I can see from reviews, the YN 467 has a power zoom head (but, you can't set it manually, as it varies automatically from 24-85mm when used in TTL modes from what I can tell).

The YN 468 also has the ability to set the zoom position yourself (by pressing the Mode and Power Button at the same time), which is a feature missing on the YN 467.

The main drawback I see to the all of the available Yongnuo flash models (including the latest YN 560) is the lack of FP Mode (Focal Plane Shutter Mode; a.k.a., High Speed Sync), which means that you'd need to stick to shutter speeds within the X-Sync speed limitations of the camera you're using if you want the flash to be part of the exposure without issues like shadow bands from shutter curtain travel in the images.

That wouldn't be an issue for inside photos (because you wouldn't need faster shutter speeds indoors to freeze action if you make sure the flash is contributing more to the exposure). But, if you want to use a flash for fill outdoors at wider apertures in bright light (for example, f/2.8 for a shallower depth of field), then the Yongnuo flashes would not be suitable for that purpose, as you may need to stop down the aperture to as much as f/8 or f/11 in brighter sunlight at ISO 100 to keep your shutter speeds within the x-sync limits for many dSLR models (most dSLR models have an x-speed limit of around 1/200 or 1/250 second) unless you wanted to use a Neutral Density filter (reducing flash range more than using High Speed Sync would with a camera manufacturer's dedicated flash, or a model like the Metz 48 AF-1 or 58 AF1, which also support High Speed sync).

For inside use (or if you don't mind stopping down your aperture enough to stay within your camera's x-sync speed limits when using them in brighter sunlight for fill), the Yongnuo models do appear to be good bargains (at least on the surface) from reviews I've seen.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 11:41 PM   #38

My YN467 arrived today. Very good delivery one week from China. Have only had a tiny play with it as with all things photography going to take some practice to get the most out of it.

Just a question, with the 350d there isn't a flash menu but you can set your flash exposure on the camera. I notice from reading the flash manual you can do this in conj. with TTL. It does seem to under expose as we discussed earlier, so is there a difference between adjusting the exposure on the flash to adjusting it on the camera menu settings? The flash seems to pick up the adjustment in the menu on the camera. I'm just thinking should I leave my camera flash settings permanently to +2 or something similar to overcome the underexposing.

The flash seems to reset to the +/-0 every time you fire it up whereas the camera remembers the flash settings for next time. Do they operate in the same way I guess I'm asking, does it matter which method I use.
coffeegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 12:35 PM   #39

coffeegal-

I honestly believe that you should begin with a standardized setting to really determine what the flash will do on your camera. I would suggest using the "P" or Programed Auto Mode, Auto ISO, and the Flash Compensation set to 0 or zero to really determine how the flash and your camera work together.

After the first couple of shots you will have a good idea if the exposure is correct on not. Remember to shoot your test shots from the same exact distance. Then if the resulting photo is under exposed (dark), I would first make the increase adjustment on the flash. Then check the exposure again.

When there is no increase adjustments possible on the flash, then begin to increase the camera if necessary to achieve the proper exposure. That is what I would do. Just a suggestion, do whatever feel right to you.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 28, 2010, 10:22 PM   #40

Coffeegal-

My YN-467 arrived this afternoon as well. So let's review the set-up:

(1) DSLR camera set to "P" Programed Auto

(2) DSLR camera set to Auto ISO

(3) Mount YN-467 with batteries installed on your Camera.

(4) Turn on the YN-467 Flash Unit, so that the camera knows it there.

(5) Using Camera Menu: Set-up for External Flash,TTL operation, and Flash Compensation to 0

(6) Set the YN-467 control as shown in the attached photo. Then with the flash facing straight ahead, set the flash head tilt to about 80 degrees for a bounce flash. That will spill a small portion of the flash's light output ahead toward the subject, and the majority of the flash's output will be bounced off the room's white ceiling to get rid of harsh shadows.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Jun 28, 2010 at 10:40 PM.