Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 5, 2010, 2:21 PM   #1

Default Replacing Canon 10d...5d or 7d?

I currently own a Canon 10d and looking into purchasing a new camera. I am very happy with the 10d but I think itís time to upgrade. Being I have a budget of $2000, I was considering the new 7d. The only problem that I am facing is a friend of mine is selling his original 5d (not mark II) and I am now contemplating between a full frame camera and non full frame. Could someone shed some light or give me some pointers on which way to go. Is it worth buying an older full frame camera or a brand new non full frame? Thanks...
kshimizu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2010, 3:26 PM   #2

THe normal question is, What do you like to shoot? Each has benefits and a place in the picture.
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 4:34 PM   #3

If you shoot action, the 7D is the better one. Faster burst rate. And you will have a factory warranty if something breaks. I am not to keen about used bodies. I know how much wear I put on my camera.
Old May 5, 2010, 4:59 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Hi and welcome to Steve's.

As mentioned knowing what you like to shoot is helpful and also what glass you have as not everything is going to work on the 5D.

I agree with shoturtle, I'm not a huge fan of used and would only get it if it was a great great price for the risk you are taking or if from one of the large suppliers who will give you a warranty.

I have the 5D, 7D and 5DmkII so can give you some insight when we know a little more about your needs but I will say that if I was shooting portraits or low light I would go with the 5D as ISO 1600 and 3200 on that is nicer than with the 7D. The 7D is great as a high end all round camera so certainly worth considering and if you do shoot sport then the improved AF is very nice (I also have a 1DmkIII so have done comparisons against that too and the 7D does get pretty close).

Last question, why do you want to upg, is it just that you want a change or is it lacking somewhere? A lot of improvement can be gained by getting better glass rather than a better body, however if you are wanting to print larger and struggling with 6mp (although you can go pretty large) then consider it.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.

Last edited by Mark1616; May 5, 2010 at 5:01 PM.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 7:25 PM   #5

Thanks guys for the quick response. My shooting conditions are usually low lighting and I canít use a flash. Things like museums, family gatherings; no too much movement. I occasionally shoot sporting events but the shots I get with the setup I have now is adequate.
Mark, great insight. I just feel like I'm lacking something. Or maybe I just feel like something new. I think I'll try out a faster/sharper lens and hopefully that will settle my needs.
Old May 5, 2010, 7:34 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Lenses are very key to improving the photos, usually it is best to spend more in lens kit than bodies..... I break the rules as I like toys too much and have 6 Canon dSLRs and 2 P&S cameras with an underwater P&S arriving when my parents get here from the UK LOL.

But if I didn't have the right glass then I wouldn't be getting the images I get (not saying anything about photographic skill as I know I'm not the best, but the right glass helps me look better at least).

What lenses do you have, which do you use most, what are their limitations, is there a gap in your shooting that you desire to photography but currently can't? These will help work out the next step. If you shoot people (be it day, night, indoors or out) do you have a good external flash, again, this will boost the level of photos you can take, I'm a huge flash user for outdoor photos, it's a skill that I'm still trying to learn as it is a balancing act between the natural light and the flash, but it is certainly fun and adds a lot to the photos.

This is a set I took today, photos 1,2,3,5,6,9,10,11 and 12 were shot with flash. http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...ml#post1089946

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2010, 3:36 AM   #7

Nice (& good) pictures! Well done!
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2010, 8:14 AM   #8

What lenses do you have? That makes a big diff.
Sigma 10-20, 70-200 F2.8
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2010, 11:25 AM   #9

go for the 5D. Totally biased suggestion. full frame is a beautiful world

sorry for this useless suggestion..one of the days where i couldnt control suggesting 5D
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 3:54 PM   #10

right now im using a 28-105 f4. I tried out a 50 1.4 and it was great. I didnt think a lens would make that much of a diff. I think I'm looking into getting the 5d mark II, tho. Thanks!