Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 6, 2010, 7:49 AM   #1

Default T2i Video Performance

I finally gave my T2i a thorough test on video capture.

The video quality is fine - certainly brighter than devices I've used in the past. I kit lens performed acceptibly in this application, with the exposure level pushing the limits of the lens ability - generally f4 at a shutter speed of 1/60. The slowest shutter speed at 640x480 is 1/60 because it records at 60 fps. 1/30 speeds are allowed at 1080p resolutions because it records at 30fps.

I think I may benefit from a faster lens, as I had to bump the brightness of the shots in my video editor, but the kit lens works.

The downside was camera overheating. The manual warned me about this, but I never encountered it in my test shots. The camera never turned off because of overheating, but the warning icon appeared starting at about the 40 minute mark. I turned the camera off, as recommended for this issue, as the groups filed on/off the stage to cool the camera, and I was able to get through the 80 minute program.

The 16g card would have been full at about 100 minutes. The battery died after 70 minutes. Memo to myself - as soon as the main battery bar disapears, replace the battery in the next few minutes!

Jim
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2010, 8:49 AM   #2

I've Canon 550D - AND - Canon SX1 (bridge camera with tiltable display and 20x zoom)

Both have 1920x1080/30fps with high bitrate 43 Mbps .... buuuuuut: video with SX1 is BETTER!

a) tiltable display
b) usable viewer !!! while videoing
c) noiseless focus following
d) stereo mic
e) 20x zoom
f) sharper video
g) no video interferences
h) ... and more :-)

I love both - but if videoing with changeable lenses there is nothing better than .... Lumix GH1

Canon CAN it - but it didn't it with 550D :-|

such extra things you do not need with Canon SX1

DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2010, 10:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonalDuc View Post
I've Canon 550D - AND - Canon SX1 (bridge camera with tiltable display and 20x zoom)

Both have 1920x1080/30fps with high bitrate 43 Mbps .... buuuuuut: video with SX1 is BETTER!

a) tiltable display
b) usable viewer !!! while videoing
c) noiseless focus following
d) stereo mic
e) 20x zoom
f) sharper video
g) no video interferences
h) ... and more :-)

I love both - but if videoing with changeable lenses there is nothing better than .... Lumix GH1

Canon CAN it - but it didn't it with 550D :-|

such extra things you do not need with Canon SX1
Donalduc i agree SX1 videos are fantastic.. but only during day time... night time video is very bad.. lot of noise... how about 550 performance in the night time.. since we can manually adjust the ISO.. which is not possible in SX1
Cameraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2010, 11:00 AM   #4
Super Moderator

They are very different beasts, for ease and quality built in audio the SX1 is the winner, but for video quality and creativity using good glass on a dSLR is the way to go.

I have the 5DmkII, 7D and 500D as well as the SX1 so do a lot of playing around when I get a chance and like them all (well not really the 500D as no manual controls over vid) for different things.
Old May 6, 2010, 1:42 PM   #5

The low light issue was king for myself - I wanted to take good quality video under the lower lighting of school plays. The accessory SMX-10 mic greatly enhanced the audio capture. I suspect the heating issue may be more of an issue with the high compression video, i.e. 640x480. The processor works much harder to compress to that degree, so perhaps it will produce less heat on the high res shots. I'll experiment with that in the future. I didn't use it last night because of SD card limitations.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2010, 4:26 AM   #6

Of course it's "unfair" to compare DSLR (550D) with SX1 - there are two worlds. Some silly dudes compare DSLR and HS10 (same unfairness).

But if I make videos, 90% in daylight ... SX1 is the better camera ... it has ONLY 1920x1080, is 2 years on market ... and it has tiltable display and e-viewer. That counts. DSLR is a cripple for video - exception: Lumix GH1/G2 .. but they are EVILs :-)

If I see "profis" with DSLRs making movies ... I'm laughing about their equipment .. they have a DSLR on a wheelchair for two ... 5x price of DSLR. For amateurs ... that's okay. If they don't think: I am (Little)Spielberg ...

There are some nice videos with Canon DSLRs ..

http://www.dslrnewsshooter.com/2010/...venture-on-7d/

Last edited by DonalDuc; May 7, 2010 at 5:15 AM.
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010, 10:10 PM   #7

I just picked up the T2i last week, and shot my first videos this weekend. The results were phenomenal, but one thing I CANNOT figure out for the life of me, is why Canon chose the Quicktime format?!?!?

I mean, it makes no sense whatsoever. Can we all just complain enough that a firmware update will yield a more normal (and universal) format, like mp4? Not only is mov a storage hog, but having to convert each video for playback is beyond annoying.

Last edited by ckeegan; May 31, 2010 at 10:17 PM.
ckeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2010, 4:29 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeegan View Post
I just picked up the T2i last week, and shot my first videos this weekend. The results were phenomenal, but one thing I CANNOT figure out for the life of me, is why Canon chose the Quicktime format?!?!?

I mean, it makes no sense whatsoever. Can we all just complain enough that a firmware update will yield a more normal (and universal) format, like mp4? Not only is mov a storage hog, but having to convert each video for playback is beyond annoying.
For playback I just use Splash lite and it is perfectly fine with my 5DmkII and 7D. The format has been a problem for all of us who don't use Mac but it is meant to be getting better. I only do a conversion if I need to edit which is fine for me as using winFF I can batch process into another format and edit easily.