Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 13, 2003, 3:11 PM   #31

There are several good web sites that review lenses. I prefer these:

http://www.photozone.de/bindex2.html
http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/

You'll note that they are both done by people, not professionals. Because of this I look for similar statements between them. Sharp to one person is dull to another. But I've found the information between them very similar, most of the time, so I mostly believe them.

That is where I'd go for info about that Tamron. What I found does not agre with that dealer at all. They claim its much worse. Its under super zooms, 3rd from the bottom.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2003, 3:25 PM   #32

NHL,

I'm not saying that my len mount problem is in any way related to front/back focusing. It isn't. I don't believe I ever said that (I didn't intend to) and I don't have the time to reread my posts to see (gota company holiday party to go to.) My camera, on occasion, claims it's in focus when nothing in the entire view finder is in focus. In fact, its so far out of focus it looks how a very nice OOF background should look! It happens about 1 in 20 shots. This is clearly and completely wrong. Since I use the same lens for the vast majority of my shots, I don't know if it's a lens or body problem.

I've been told by others that this is most probably a lens mount issue. Either way, I'm going to have it checked. At the same time, I'll see if they'll check my camera for front/back focusing (and therefor open the door for me to talk to a trained tech about it.)

Why are you continuing on the "how can anything focus on a fraction of a millimeter" line of thought? Did you read my followup? I explicitly said that that was my misscomunication. What I meant was focus at "one focal length" vs focus at another. I realize is said "at one mm", and that is my fault.

I believe you (like me) are an engineer. You are trying to use your knowledge to reason how something should or shouldn't be. I do not know enough to argue with you. I will say this again. All I know is that others who have had their front/back focus issue worked on have reported. They say that both the lens and the body might have to be adjusted. I don't know why, so I won't refute your logic with explicit facts (I can't.) You can either believe the people who say that is what the techs did, or you can disbelieve them. But no amount of logic can convince me, because my opinion is not based on logic. It's based on facts supplied by others.

Eric
Old Dec 14, 2003, 12:40 PM   #33

FINAL DECISION--I'm going to wait for a few months and see if Nikon comes out with a new model. If lacrosse season comes around and there's nothing new, I'm buying the D100 with a Nikon 28-200mm lens. I know a wouldn't go wrong with the 10D, but when all is said and done my gut is saying go with the Nikon.

I want to thank all of you for your input. This is a major part of the research I do when making a purchase of this nature and all of your comments have been invaluable. :!: :!: :!:

Thanks again, and happy holidays to all.

Jeff
Jeff Mirkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2003, 6:52 PM   #34

Look at the Lens Perfornance Survey at:

http://www.cmpsolv.com/photozone/lsurveyEOS.htm

this should give you some specific comparison date.

Try them out at you local camera shop, shoot 50 shots in 5 minutes then take them back to your PC and zoom in for detail.
austin0500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2003, 6:53 PM   #35
-jb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mirkin
FINAL DECISION--I'm going to wait for a few months and see if Nikon comes out with a new model.
You mean like Nikon's new D70? It appears to be Nikon's competitor to the 300D.

Check out the News right here at Steve's... about half way down... or this direct link:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/ni...03_d70_pr.html

-jb
-jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2003, 8:18 PM   #36

No, I'm talking about an upgrade to the 2 year old Nikon D100.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 12:44 AM   #37

Duh, Nikon feels it necessary to pre-announce the D70. Clearly they were taken by surprise by the Digital Rebel. Bad sign.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2003, 6:33 PM   #38

I was originally going to get the 300D but decided I wanted a little more camera, hence the 10D or D100. The 10D isn't even a year old yet, but the D100 is almost 2 years old so could be up for a re-vamping soon.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 10:02 PM   #39

It could me. I wouldn't be surprised if something were announced at PMA in Feb (?) But Nikon has a history of announcing product way before it hits the shelves. I really wish they wouldn't do that, but it isn't up to me.

So if it were anounced, you should add about 6 months before it's available.

Eric