Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 14, 2010, 7:34 AM   #1

Default Help with Exposure when 430 exii attached

Hi all, I'm reletively new to DSLR photography and mostly shoot landscapes, however I'm wanting experiment with flash/indoor/people photography.

This issue I'm having is.... If I let the camera take care of Shutter speed in AV mode while my flash is attached, it reacts like I have no flash attached and sets a really slow shutter speed, in low light sometimes 1 -2 seconds, far too long to hand hold the camera....... when this is not needed as the flash takes care of the low light situation.

Surely in quickly changing and low light environments, photographers rely on the exposure meter for correct exposures?
I can't do this with the flash attached using AV/TV or manual...for me to get my correct exposure I need to use Full Auto or... Manual setting and fire a few shots off, I can't rely on the exposure meter as it usually says I'm well underexposing, even when the picture is perfectly exposed

that sounds wrong to me?

shouldn't the cameras exposure metering system know that a flash is attached and that it won't actually need that slow shutter speed in AV mode or the wideset Aperture in TV??

If I follow the exposure meter in Manual mode with a flas attached so it reads that the settings are correct for the right exposure, the images are washed out,grossly over exposed.

Like I said, reletively new to this so be gentle if I'm missing an obvious point

Regards

James
Jayrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2010, 7:26 PM   #2
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrou View Post
This issue I'm having is.... If I let the camera take care of Shutter speed in AV mode while my flash is attached, it reacts like I have no flash attached and sets a really slow shutter speed, in low light sometimes 1 -2 seconds, far too long to hand hold the camera.......
The camera is trying to do a flash fill with ambient light when you're in AV...
i.e. It meters for ambient light foremost then fill in with the flash

If you use Tv then you can't control the aperture because the camera will meter for ambient again by varying the aperture!

-> The best way to use flash is on manual: You can then control both the shutter speed and aperture!
Keep the pointer to the left of the EV (-2..-1^..0..+1..+2) scale with the shutter or aperture then the flash will fill-in the rest, i.e. it'll bring the exposure back to the center (i.e. 0 EV).

The further you move the ^ pointer to the left the darker the background will get while the foreground will be exposed correctly by the flash
-> You don't want to center the ^ pointer on the 0 EV as the metering is already correct then for ambient, as when the flash fired, it'll just add to the set exposure hence the image will be washed out

Last edited by NHL; May 14, 2010 at 7:49 PM.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2010, 6:52 AM   #3

If your camera like the 1 series has a FEL button, u can use that in manual set up to get a better output of the camera.

But the best way is to set the camera in Manual and adjust for the required light. U set the Shutter speed and u set the aperture. The ^ as NHL said should be to the left of the EV scale. The flash will try to bring it to the centre.

But the drawbacks are clearly explained by NHL above. The more the flash out put the darker the background.

For example, a scene where the camera without the flash metered to say 1/6 of a second will have the background and foreground in more natural feel even if the flash went off. But if u manually set the shutter speed here to 1/200 with similar aperture, the flash will appear to be harsh with darker background.

FEL helps here if you have the button. Below is an example with manual set up. The colors are bit off due to some bad monitor at home and my BAD Editing...so forgive that..but the idea is to use the flash in manual

This one was taken with FEL and was lucky to get a shutter speed of around 1/125

Last edited by nymphetamine; May 16, 2010 at 7:01 AM.
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 5:15 AM   #4

First of all apologies for the late reply and thank you both for replying

I'm beginning to understand now after playing around with the setting you both suggested, I'll need practice on this though..

I appreciate you both taking the time to reply.

James
Jayrou is offline   Reply With Quote