Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 7, 2002, 12:11 PM   #1

Default IBM 1gb microdrive film numbering and the D 60

The microdrive can hold about 450 shots taken in large, fine format. The LCD display shows shots remaining.

That would be fine if I put the card in, took shots, didn't erase or download any (for example on vacation). Then I would know the drive's remaining storage capacity.

Much of the time I'm shooting 20 to 30 shots, coming home, downloading into my computer. The LCD display continues to diminish in it's countdown, even though there is now plenty of room left on the drive due to all of the shots I've erased from the camera. If I reformat the microdrive, I'd get the count started at the beginning but lose all stored images, even protected ones.

What happens when I go on vacation, don't download anything, but erase some as I go so there will be room for more shots. The remaining shot count on the LCD can't compensate for this. How will I know the true capacity left on the microdrive? Guess I better have a second microdrive as back up.
Barbados is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2002, 4:13 PM   #2
NHL

Barbados

See over here: http://www.stevesforums.com/forum/vi...d.php?tid=1764

I don't know about your D60, but on the D7, as soon as you delete a picture, the counter adjust accordingly... and the 'film' counter also adjust as you near the end. I can shoot much more than my camera estimated 420 shots ... (450 in your case)

BTW I use a MindStor to download/backup everyday on week long vacations. Downloading all 6 to 7Gb at Firewire speed sure is nice... @ 20/30 shots a day you don't need a microdrive... (I tend to do almost a Gig a day, and close 4 to 5G, on 1/2 a day on studio shoots!)

[Edited on 8-7-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2002, 5:33 PM   #3

Default Counter reset on the D 60

Thanks NHL. As far as I can tell, the D 60's counter is not resetting as I erase photos off the microdrive. There also doesn't seem to be a programable option to get it to do so.

On vacation, (my next big trip is 4 weeks in Thailand, Laos and Angkor Wat) I shall be taking lots more than 30 shgots a day. 20-30 shots is these days around town learning what I can do with the new camera. So you think the MindStor is the way to go? I'm trying to keep weight and extra stuff to a minimum when I travel internationally. That's why I thought the second microdrive might have been an answer. Delete obviously unwanted shots as I go. But it can be hard to tell from the LCD screen. At home I have a 20" flat screen with excellant resolution. Sometimes something that I would have erased after viewing on the camera's LCD screen turns out to have potential when viewed on the desk top.
Barbados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2002, 7:20 PM   #4
NHL

The 2nd microdrive for me is only good for Studio were shooting time is @ a premium. I use the 2nd microdrive only as the 1st one is downloading.

The MindStor however is used both for downloading and backup on trips where this device stay safe at the hotel (ie no different than a laptop, but much lighter)

... couple of flash cards are what you need if you are caught in a bind! I think the D60 counter will eventually refresh toward the end count (my 990 used to do that on flash cards as well)

[Edited on 8-7-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote