Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 7, 2003, 10:06 PM   #11

I was wanting to post that but could not find it Time to bookmark it. I would just get the cheapest of the top 10 on that list. There is no use paying for the absolute fastest when the camera will not utilize it.

Eric
ewitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2003, 10:11 PM   #12

He is right, no Canon camera supports the WA protocal (oops, I meant to say that in my post.) As far as I know, only Nikon cameras support it, but I could be wrong. sjms says that kodak does, and he could be right.

What he is saying is that the camera will not take advantage of the full speed of the card. The camera just doesn't write fast enough. There are other cameras that do (the Nikon D2h) but it's all a tradeoff. They don't write as fast, because they use cheaper parts to keep the cost down. They can also design the camera so that it doesn't matter as much. For example, the 10D has a 9 picture buffer. So I can take 9 pictures before the camera has to stop taking more pictures and write 1 (or more) to the CF card. The Digital Rebel has a 4 picture buffer. If you never fill up the buffer, you don't really notice that the camera is slow when writing to the CF. While you'll looking to take another picture, the camera is writing the previous pictures out to the card.

Of course, there are very expensive cameras (the Canon 1Ds in his example) that don't take full advantage of the faster cards either. So price isn't the main distinguishing factor in if the camera will take advantage of the faster cards.

In the end, what matters is not if the card is rated as fast, but if it's fast in the specific camera in question. A card that is fast in one camera could be slower in another (note I don't say "slow" just "slower" a good card won't suck, but a sucky card won't become good. A bad card is just bad.) That link he posted is to a very good compairson between many cameras and a huge number of CF cards. Don't just look at which card is faster, look at how much faster. You'll notice that the reality of the Digital Rebel is that the top 8 cards are all basically the same speed.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2003, 5:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
taking more pictures and write 1 (or more) to the CF card. The Digital Rebel has a 4 picture buffer. If you never fill up the buffer, you don't really notice that the camera is slow when writing to the CF. While you'll looking to take another picture, the camera is writing the previous pictures out to the card.
Usually when I do multiple shots there is a slight pause between them. Maybe 1-2 seconds. It has not come up yet where I needed to wait for it to write. Although I rarely do even four consecutive.

Eric
ewitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2003, 7:24 AM   #14

Why not get a 1Gb MicroDrive, much cheaper than the CF. Same format, and based on the discussions on the forum over the last few days no difference in performance.
T0M0S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2003, 8:11 AM   #15
NHL

The other thing to consider is if one ever plan on shooting raw: If you alway use jpeg as your output format then the image file size is going to be quite small (< 2.4Mb), that a small difference in speed doesn't really matter (or hard to measure depending on the compression of each individual picture!)

In raw, the file size is constant and almost three time the size (6 Mb), where the speed difference is magnified 3x, that's when a photographer will see the difference... after the buffer is filled (ie after 4 shots)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2003, 12:00 PM   #16

Thanks to everybody for the responses! I'm going to spend some time studying everything that you guys have said. I think the link to the article comparing the different cards for THIS camera will be helpful.

BTW, what does RAW mean?
SBSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2003, 1:01 PM   #17
NHL

Quote:
BTW, what does RAW mean?
Raw = raw data from the sensor with no in camera adjustments such as white balance, sharpness or color saturation fixing. ie pure "1" and "0" as captured by the camera which can be processed off-line in the PC instead of inside the camera... The idea is if you happened to goof-off, the post-processing can somewhat recover the pictures, unlike a jpeg or tiff output where the image is already processed and data points have been combined and truncated! http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...&highlight=raw
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2003, 2:34 PM   #18

SBSB

This link has a comparison of flash cards in the 10D and 300D. Just pick them from the pulldown list:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2003, 11:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewitte
I was wanting to post that but could not find it Time to bookmark it. I would just get the cheapest of the top 10 on that list. There is no use paying for the absolute fastest when the camera will not utilize it.

Eric
I took this advice:
"Our strong recommendation is to consider only the fastest cards available for this camera, though it should be noted that the performance difference between the top 10 or so cards in this camera is relatively narrow."

We bought the camera from B&H W/the Lexar 1gb 40x WA card. I realize that the camera does not support WR but this card was 5th on the list. I'm beginning to understand the terms used here and it can seem kind of overwhelming after awhile. We paid $279 extra for the card, which seems about right from what I've seen. We just want to have the camera in time for Christmas and hope this was the best decision. I would have liked to have a little more time to research the subject but we were both going nuts trying to weigh the options. Thanks for all the help! I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions after we start taking pictures.
SBSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2003, 11:18 AM   #20

welcome to the world od the DSLR. now just wait untill you get your next lens. and you thought getting the CF card was a challenge. :shock:
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote