Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 17, 2004, 4:29 PM   #21

Hello,

If you are looking for a cost effective solution with lots of storage capabilities, you may wish to look at the Hitachi 2GB Microdrive. At under $300.00 and readily available at almost any digi cam retailer, you can shoot until your heart is content and not break the bank. Hope this helps and enjoy your new toy.
Shane Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2004, 8:31 PM   #22

Good sugggestion on the microdrive. I'd go further and get a 4GB microdrive -- these can be had for around $250. It's a strange situation -- Creative sells a music player/recorder with this 4GB drive for $200. They get bought out quickly by people doing the following: Ripping out the drive and leaving the player empty / substituting a cheaper/smaller drive and either using the drive themself, or selling it on eBay. When you compare the $250 price with all other alternatives, you see that it makes a lot of economic sense. The $50 price difference between Creative's price and the re-sellers is of course the markup for the work. If they manage to sell the player for say another $50, then they've had a good day.

Of course, you can easily get lucky and find one for <$250. I paid $230 for mine.

eBay transactions are not without risk -- use your discretion.

An external USB2/Firewire card-reader is practically a must, especially for drives as big as that -- it's much faster than the data transfer from the camera. Formatting the card in such a card reader also improves the performance of the drive. The lower-end Canon DSLR's are fairly slow in their data transfer capabilities, so don't benefit as much as you might hope for with faster cards, which makes the relative performance of microdrives reasonable. Note also that microdrives are not as slow as you might think when comparing flash memory with hard drives -- they should out-perform the low-end SanDisks.

Some people have reported problems with the 2.2 GB microdrives -- unlike the 4GB ones, they are not made by IBM/Hitachi.

Here's a link to a web page with compatibility information. Watch out for the star -- many cameras are not able to take advantage of cards this big.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/microdrive.html

Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2004, 6:23 AM   #23
NHL

I'm with Madwand as well:

There's no such thing as a slow microdrive: Flash cards are rated from slow to fast according to ascending cost, microdrives only come in fast with the 4G even faster! The only time they are perceived as slow is upon start-up where the device need to spin up when you first turn on the camera. However when this happens initially the camera also takes some time to initialize masking out the whole process...

Don't get me wrong I also use fast flash cards, but for less than $200 a pop, it's a no brainer. I liked them so much that I eventually got two 4G:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...ighlight=muvo2
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2004, 2:21 PM   #24

Hello,

I would notrecommend that you buy one of the Creative Muvo MP3 player to extract the Microdrive as you may find these drives will no longer work in digital cameras. Here is a link to Steve's Microrodrive article where he speaks to the Microdrives and Bill Heybruck comments on the Microdrive and MP3 player topic. As you can see in his signature,Bill is the Senior Application Engineer for Hitachi Global Storage Technologies. In the quote, he goes on to say "Other OEM drives with different partnumbers are also not CF compliant and meet the requirements of that customer. All are subject to change without notice as well. So if you have an OEM drive that works now, one from that same mfg may not work later on.... " It looks like we can expect that these drives won't work in the future.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/microdrive.html

You may find that after extracting the Microdrive that will only funciton in the original host device. Not to mention that you just voided the warranty on the drive as well as the player. Your better off buying the retail drive and getting the full benefits of the product and ensuring that it is the right solution for your needs. After all you are still saving a ton of money.

Madwand,

You mentioned the 2.2GB drives. I believe that you are speaking of the Magicstor drives, which technically are not Microdrives. Microdrive is a Hitachitrademark.Steve already covered this topic in the link above, take a look at his experiences.

Shane Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2004, 6:03 PM   #25

so far my brother in law has extracted 2 4gb MDs from muvo 2s and they work just fine. now don't try it with a the new 4gb mini ipod. mr jobs engineering staff has had hitachi build in a "lock&key" in the firmware and circuit board to make sure that none of their 4gb drives end up usable in any other device other then their specific product. so that means should your mini ipod die fom causes other then the MD itself the drive is utterly useless. how typical of apple to make sure it really turns into junk.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2004, 7:01 AM   #26
NHL

Actually Mr jobs engineering staff are quite devious on their intent: they specifically targeted digital cameras. The Ipod drives work fine with computers/laptops or hacked back in the Muvo2!

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...highlight=ipod

:evil:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote