Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 6, 2003, 6:06 PM   #1

Default Flash Memory Card?

My wife and I are going to buy the Canon EOS Rebel digital SLR camera. This is our first digital camera and we are confused about the memory card issue. We don't know what we need. We would appreciate any advise on the subject. Hopefully it can be explained in not too technical terms.

Thanks,
Steve
SBSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2003, 6:11 PM   #2
Administrator

Buy a 512MB or 1GB size CF card. Faster is better, I'd recommend the SanDisk Ultra II or Lexar Pro Series. There are also some other brand cards that work well too - Ridata and Transcend are fast.

The 512MB size is good if you shoot in JPEG mode. If you plan on shooting a lot of raw NEF type then I'd go with the bigger 1GB size CF card.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2003, 11:20 PM   #3

I would second Steve's opinion.

I have a 512 Lexar Pro and a 1G. They both work quite well. The 1G is a bit slower, and some times I notice it. But not often, as I usually shoot in 3 pic bursts to give it time to write.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2003, 8:33 AM   #4

yep, in the world of of the DSLR a 512 is your basic start card. as you go out and shoot in L mode or RAW you quickly come to the fact that 512 won't last too long. i shoot my daughters soccer games on my 1Ds w/2GB card in L jpg and at at some of the games i'm reaching for another card. yes about 50% are less then useable but you shoot and shoot the gem shot(s) will make it/themself(ves) apparent later. gee its just like shoot film again unless you constantly review and miss the next great shot looking down at the review screen too much.

http://www.pbase.com/image/23946239/small

keep your eye in the viewfinder and keep shooting.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2003, 9:18 AM   #5

Default Start with a 512

I would start with a 512mb card. Now weither you need the faster cards or not (they cost more) will depend on the type of photography you do. If you area taking mainly family, vacations and don't need to fire off shot after shot, the slower cards will do fine. Browse the internet and see where the best prices are. I use Scandisk myself but Lexars are very good. I have a friend who use PNY and he likes them also.

BIll100
Bill100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2003, 7:19 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies! We found the camera w/ Lexar
1GB 40x JumpShot CompactFlash Card with Write Acceleration (WA) Technology @ B&H photo for $1297 incl shipping.This includes the standard 18-55MM lens. What is WA technology? I also noticed that they sell card readers. What is a card reader and do we need it? Thanks in advance.

Steve
Old Dec 7, 2003, 7:36 PM   #7

WA stands for "Write Accelerated" (I believe.) Basically Lexar invented a optimized protocol that their cards can understand that will let them write faster. But its not "standard" (i.e. no one but Lexar uses it.) It the camera supports it, it will write faster. If it doesn't, it will write slower, but still quite fast. I don't know if the "40x" rating is when WA is being used or when it isn't.

I have the 32x 1G WA Lexar card and like it a lot in my 10D. It only leaves the camera either a) when I'm downloading the pictures or b) when its full in the field.

It's a good card. Mine (which is 32x, not 40x) does seem a little slower than the 40x 512 card that I have. I use the 1G all the time, though, so I can switch to RAW mode without having to think about it. Some times, RAW is the way to go.

A card reader is a device that plugs into the computer and will read the CF card like it was a hard disk. They are usually faster than plugging the camera in directly.

That card normally comes with a card reader. This should be required because the recovery software that comes with it requires the special jumpshot reader. That reader gets the job done, but it's only USB1, so it's slow. You can live with it for awhile, but plan on replacing it eventually.

As for good readers, here is a review comparing many of them:
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...id=7-6191-6217

Steve also reviews them, so you should check there too.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2003, 7:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
WA stands for "Write Accelerated" (I believe.) Basically Lexar invented a optimized protocol that their cards can understand that will let them write faster. But its not "standard" (i.e. no one but Lexar uses it.) It the camera supports it, it will write faster. If it doesn't, it will write slower, but still quite fast.

Eric
Thanks Eric. Does anybody know if this camera supports WA? B&H photo sells the camera with this card so I don't know if that means the camera supports that card but I would think it would because they offer it as a package. BTW, I was referring to the 18-55MM lens as the standard item that comes with the camera.
Old Dec 7, 2003, 9:46 PM   #9

canon currently DOES NOT support WA. a supported camera will not write at the rated 40x (this is the rate the card is capable of xfring). the camera has a bus that is capable of tranfering that is set by many factors that the manufacture works with (i would refrain from using the word slower). nikon and kodak Dslrs support it and the D2H write using WA 1gb roughly at approx 4MB/s whereas the new sandisk ultra2 comes in at 5MB/s.

now move to my 1Ds and it drops to roughly 2MB/s for both competing models which for my camera is OK because it has a 10 frome buffer

i short its all relative to the camera models and there use optimizations. the D2H is definately built for speed. it has a nice healthy 40 frame jpg buffer 25 for RAW.

these are the current rates for a 300D using the better known cards:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-6425
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2003, 10:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjms
canon currently DOES NOT support WA. a supported camera will not write at the rated 40x (this is the rate the card is capable of xfring). the camera has a bus that is capable of tranfering that is set by many factors that the manufacture works with (i would refrain from using the word slower). nikon and kodak Dslrs support it and the D2H write using WA 1gb roughly at approx 4MB/s whereas the new sandisk ultra2 comes in at 5MB/s.

now move to my 1Ds and it drops to roughly 2MB/s for both competing models which for my camera is OK because it has a 10 frome buffer

i short its all relative to the camera models and there use optimizations. the D2H is definately built for speed. it has a nice healthy 40 frame jpg buffer 25 for RAW.

these are the current rates for a 300D using the better known cards:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-6425
Thank you for the info. I'm new to this so I don't understand most of what you said. Could you please re state your point in layman terms? Thanks in advance