Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 21, 2010, 6:48 PM   #1

Default T2i Shutter Speed

I seem to have done something and now I can't adjust the shutter speed higher than 1/200 no matter what mode I am in. Even on manual exposure it won't go any higher.

I am sure it has to be something stupid since this is only my 3rd day with an SLR. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
colesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2010, 8:53 PM   #2

If all else fails, or if you haven't altered many of the default settings, you can reset the T2i back to the default settings. That should clear any oddball setting that's keeping your shutter speed low. See page 144 of the EOS REBEL T2i / EOS 550D Instruction Manual.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2010, 10:24 AM   #3
Administrator

The maximum x-sync speed is 1/200 second with your T2i. So, the camera is limiting your fastest shutter speed to 1/200 second when using the built in flash. Otherwise, you could get dark bands in your photos due to shutter curtain travel (because the sensor would never be fully exposed to the flash at faster shutter speeds). Here's a page with information about some of the limitations with Focal Plane Shutter designs:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...lane/index.htm

Forcing flash to off should allow you to go faster (although you may get underexposed images if light is too low trying to use faster shutter speeds without a flash).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2010, 1:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
The maximum x-sync speed is 1/200 second with your T2i. So, the camera is limiting your fastest shutter speed to 1/200 second when using the built in flash. Otherwise, you could get dark bands in your photos due to shutter curtain travel (because the sensor would never be fully exposed to the flash at faster shutter speeds). Here's a page with information about some of the limitations with Focal Plane Shutter designs:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...lane/index.htm

Forcing flash to off should allow you to go faster (although you may get underexposed images if light is too low trying to use faster shutter speeds without a flash).
I see, so I could solve this by getting a flash attachment that supports higher shutter speeds?
colesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2010, 1:18 PM   #5
Administrator

Some flash models (for example, the Canon 430EX II and 580EX II) support FP (Focal Plane Shutter) mode, a.k.a., HSS (High Speed Sync), which allows the flash to pulse the light over a longer time period as the shutter curtains travel. So, you can use any shutter speed you want to with that type of flash.

But, you do lose flash range with that type of setup when you go faster than the camera's x-sync speed.

Where are you trying to get faster shutter speeds? If you're indoors, you probably don't need anything faster than 1/200 second to freeze action with a flash (and you could use much slower shutter speeds than that and still freeze action at lower ISO speeds).

That's because as long as settings for ambient light exposure give you an image that's a few stops underexposed (way too dark) without the flash on (as would be the case in typical indoor environments at something like ISO 400, f/5.6 and 1/100), then the flash itself can freeze the action (because the subjects would only be properly exposed during the short flash burst length, which is usually 1/1000 second or faster). IOW, unless you're trying to use a flash for fill in bright lighting outdoors, you won't need anything faster than 1/200 second to freeze rapidly moving subjects.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote