Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 24, 2010, 4:06 PM   #11

Thank, I did see that, with tax it is $670....I thought I figured I could find a used one for $450 or so,,,but there is not any, I see 30d's, so i thought that might be something to tinker with.
I like my XT, just the limitations of ISO...better focus, bigger LCD, and better processor is tempting, but I am just not sure it is worth selling mine and adding $400 or so..
Our son is going into college, and will be playing basketball for the school, I have a canon 85mm 1.8, not sure if camera upgrade will change results enough for me being an amateur.
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2010, 6:32 PM   #12
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark2009 View Post
Our son is going into college, and will be playing basketball for the school, I have a canon 85mm 1.8, not sure if camera upgrade will change results enough for me being an amateur.
After reading almost everything in this thread I was going to say pretty much stick with what you have unless you were printing big, but this line changes that.

Sports shooting is a key area for change. I have a 30D (no longer use it) but before having the 1DmkIII and 7D it was my sports camera of the time. I also have the 500D/T1i and if buying now I wouldn't really want to get a camera 2nd hand and 2 generations old. The T1i, although a little slow on continuous shooting has good AF and will allow you get get much better shutter speeds in the gym so well worth the move from the XT. Couple it to the 85mm f1.8 and you will have a good setup as long as you get in the right range to shoot. About 25' is the max (think that was mentioned already) but also this means you are still framing quite tight on a 1.6x crop so be aware that you will sometimes be cropping limbs. Not an issue if done correctly.
Old May 24, 2010, 7:00 PM   #13

Thanks, I think after hearing all of you, the way to go is save my pennies and buy the T1i, from adorma or B & H. My other son will be working games out on a local Major Minor league field, as staff...so I think my XT can handle those pictures with the 85mm, or the 28-135mm IS. Basketball won't start up for college till Nov, so I have a little time. I have to many toys will have to sell some off.
Thank you for all your advice.

Mark
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote