Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 25, 2010, 7:35 AM   #1

Default Does upgrading from a XT to a used 30D make sense

Ok,
I just found a local guy that will sell me his very nice condition, less than 5k actuation's 30D to me for $350. He want to buy a new 40D.
I am thinking for the short term, this would give me better focus, and higher ISO than the XT for indoor Basketball. I have canon 50mm, 85mm, and 28-135mmIS lenses.
Would this make sense, or just wait 3 r 4 months until I have enough fun money to buy a T1i?
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2010, 7:55 AM   #2

Let me guess. He only used it in church on Sundays? ... and he lives in Pasedena?

In general, buying a used dSLR is a big risk. You can't be sure how much use and abuse it's received. I'd save my nickels and dimes until I could get a new one.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 8:01 AM   #3

Thanks,,,,whats your opinion on the T1i? That is the one I was thinking of if I go new.
I am just a amateur dad that will be taken pictures on my one son playing local college basketball.
Old May 25, 2010, 9:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark2009 View Post
Thanks,,,,whats your opinion on the T1i? That is the one I was thinking of if I go new.
I am just a amateur dad that will be taken pictures on my one son playing local college basketball.
If your decision is primarily geared towards this local college basketball shooting, what type of college? Have you shot there yet? Where will you be shooting from? These are all important questions. The reason is - you need two very important things to get decent shots:
1) fast enough shutter speeds to freeze the action
2) correct focal length lens for distances involved

For example, the 85mm lens you have is the only one capable of any type of low level sports work - 28-135 sure isn't. But the 85 is only good for 25 feet. So you need to be on the baseline or in the front couple of rows for that lens to work for you. If you're further away then you need a longer lens. That's also where light levels come into play. Obviously a Div I arena has better light than a community college. Of course you're likely to have better seats at the community college than Div I. Everything works together. You can't just consider camera body alone. So, what are the specifics of the arena you're going to shoot in? Have you shot there yet? Where will you be shooting from?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 10:14 AM   #5

Hi,
It will be a local Community college, so I will be able to sit close, the lighting is pretty good, similar to the high school I was shooting at. I will also going to some arena's.
I think the only thing that sometimes I don't like on the XT is ISO 1600 max, and I think the focus system in better on the others.
As I said before, I have the opertunity to get a used 30D locally, arounf 4000 actuation's, for $350..that would be alot better than $670 to my door for the T1i...of course, no deal is a good deal of the used thing is beat.
Old May 25, 2010, 10:35 AM   #6

The XT actually has a pretty good AF system; in its day it was the best available on an entry level dSLR, but that day has passed and Canon's newer models are better.

Last edited by TCav; May 25, 2010 at 11:54 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 11:35 AM   #7
Super Moderator

do not get the used 30d. its silly to spend 350$ on that body at this point.

do not buy anything until you can afford the T1i or better, otherwise you will regret it in the long run and even in the short run your gains are minimal at best.

the t1i will give you iso 3200 which will help you in your sports endeavors, keeping in mind all that john wrote about the lenses.
Old May 25, 2010, 11:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark2009 View Post
Hi,
It will be a local Community college, so I will be able to sit close, the lighting is pretty good, similar to the high school I was shooting at. I will also going to some arena's.
I think the only thing that sometimes I don't like on the XT is ISO 1600 max, and I think the focus system in better on the others.
As I said before, I have the opertunity to get a used 30D locally, arounf 4000 actuation's, for $350..that would be alot better than $670 to my door for the T1i...of course, no deal is a good deal of the used thing is beat.
Ok. first - the 30d DOES have a better focus system than the XT. The XT focus system isn't that great. But ISO 3200 on the 30d isn't all that great.

Now you say you can 'get close'. Close better be less than 25 feet TOTAL distance. So if "close" is the same distance as 1st 2 rows in HS gym then 85 can get you shots. Otherwise you'll run into issues no matter WHAT body you have because you're too far away for accurate focus with that lens. If you can't be that close you'll need something like a 70-200 2.8 lens

My advice? Offer $200 for the 30d. It's worth $200 investment for better focus system and better frame rate but not more (because reliability is unknown and because high iso performance is 3 generations old).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 11:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Ok. first - the 30d DOES have a better focus system than the XT. The XT focus system isn't that great. But ISO 3200 on the 30d isn't all that great.

Now you say you can 'get close'. Close better be less than 25 feet TOTAL distance. So if "close" is the same distance as 1st 2 rows in HS gym then 85 can get you shots. Otherwise you'll run into issues no matter WHAT body you have because you're too far away for accurate focus with that lens. If you can't be that close you'll need something like a 70-200 2.8 lens

My advice? Offer $200 for the 30d. It's worth $200 investment for better focus system and better frame rate but not more (because reliability is unknown and because high iso performance is 3 generations old).
Thanks John,
The crazy thing is all the 30D's I see are selling for 350-400$$.....I think the right thing to do is save my money and go for the T1i in a few months, like most are telling me...thanks everyone.
Old May 30, 2010, 11:38 PM   #10

30D is a very good camera, I have one as a backup and sold a 400D backup and chose to keep the older 30D because from all I could see, it was faster, better focus and a tougher body and also had the wheel on the back unlike the 400D. As has been said Id ofter less than the asking price and see what happens, if the camera is in good condition it is a good buy
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote