Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 9, 2003, 1:40 PM   #1

Default Replacement for Canon 1-D

Does anyone know if Canon will be coming out with a new model to replace the Canon 1-D? Since Canon has reduced the price on the 1-D and Nikon has come out with the D2H it seems likely. Also, why are Canon cameras always more expensive than Nikon models with similar specs? Look at the price of the 1-Ds vs the Kodak DCS Pro 14n.
Stoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2003, 7:12 PM   #2

well, the canon 1Ds is simply better

the kodak is in many way a catastrophy
LCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2003, 10:12 PM   #3
Administrator

Don't get me started on the Pro 14n

The Canon 1Ds was delivered as a fully functional camera with all of its features working as advertised. About once a month Kodak issues new firmware for the Pro 14n to "activate" or enhance features that were promised on its original delivery. It is a good camera but it's like buying a Volkswagen that the dealer tells you will become a Porsche somewhere in the future after God only knows how many firmware upgrades -- and it might not ever do everything that it was promised to do. Not exactly what I would call expert marketing, selling a camera before it is even operating the way it should. No such nonsense from Canon :!:

So far there really isn't a need to upgrade the 1Ds, it's still in a class of its own. However, I do imagine that Canon will do something with it. We're pretty sure that Nikon will announce the D2X at PMA in Feb or Photokina later in the year - but it won't be a full-frame camera.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2003, 11:18 PM   #4

as was rumored to me by a nikon Rep: how would i feel about a D2H with more pixels but not full frame?

of course it would be slower too.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2003, 12:42 PM   #5

I think many people would be happy with that definition of the D2x. Of course, many won't.

The rumor I heard (from all the forums I travel by) is that the replacement/enhancement for the 1D will be anounced at PMA. When it will ship is another matter, although Canon is doing much better than Nikon is that department.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2003, 5:52 AM   #6

What I would like to see Canon do is keep the price about the same as the 1-D currently is but upgrade the camera to a 6Mp or more image size while maintaining its 8fps speed.
For my action photography I have often wanted the 8fps but just was afraid I would be sacrificing quality by going to 4Mp.
I guess we all have a dream camera we wish they would make. :lol:
Stoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2003, 10:12 AM   #7

I expect to see something at PMA about a 1D replacement/upgrade. I wouldn't mind what you describe either. I'd like the price to go down, though. I can't justify buying it at that price, even if I sold my 10d.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote