Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 9, 2003, 5:28 PM   #1

Default Digital Rebel AV Out

I'm sorry in advance if this has been covered - I tried searching the archive but I didn't find anything... I'm an idiot I think. So here goes.

Before I buy a Digital Rebel, I want to know if it offers real-time video out so I can compose shots on a standard NTSC Television monitor. I plan to use it for macro type shots, so I may not be able to stick my head near the viewfinder/LCD to frame up shots. If not AV out, what about using the USB cable and the supplied Canon software? I plan to capture to computer rather than Microdrive for 90% of the stuff anyway.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff
scuzzofilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2003, 6:07 PM   #2

I think you're looking at the wrong camera then. AFAIK the 300d doesn't support LCD framing only review. The 300D is designed to be a high-end prosumer SLR camera ie you look through the lens and not through the LCD.

Maybe check the forums for a more suitable camera. My 300D arrives tomorrow so I'll be better placed to comment but I'm sure there are many others who already can.

Cheers
T0M0S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2003, 6:14 PM   #3
djb

Steve's review mentions under bundled software section that you can send a picture to internal cfor microdrive or to a computer or screen. i don't know if picture composition is available remotely. it
has video out. have you looked for a manual for the rebel??? i have it in pdf format here at work.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2003, 10:38 PM   #4
Administrator

The Digital Rebel and ALL of the digital SLR cameras do NOT have a video out feature for live shooting - the video out is only for review purposes.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2003, 11:00 PM   #5
djb

thanx Steve!!!
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2003, 12:03 PM   #6

That settles it then. Thanks Steve and all that replied. I guess the nice thing about digital is that, if I don't like the picture upon review, I can just (re)compose and retake the picture.

What about that new 8 Megapixel Sony? Will it allow realtime AV out for live shooting?

I'll scoot over to that forum/review to find out.

Thanks all and thanks Steve for a great site.

Jeff
scuzzofilm is offline   Reply With Quote