Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 10, 2003, 10:18 PM   #1

Default Rebel Flash Exposure Question

I've seen that there are a couple sites where you can install flash exposure settings. Forgive my ignorance, but does one have to install the settings from those sites each time you want to change it or is there a way on the camera? Thanks for any help.
NNDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2003, 10:24 AM   #2

The settings will remain until reset.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2003, 5:17 PM   #3

and excuse my ignorance, please...

I see these threads about 300D lacking Flash Exp. Comp. and underexposed flash pictures and the +2/3 hack.

My silly question is are they talking about FEC with the built in flash or with an external flash? I just bought my 300D yesterday and I'm able to adjust my built in flash plus/minus 2. I'm just wondering if i'm not understanding something...

john
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2003, 6:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Saginaw
and excuse my ignorance, please...

I see these threads about 300D lacking Flash Exp. Comp. and underexposed flash pictures and the +2/3 hack.

My silly question is are they talking about FEC with the built in flash or with an external flash? I just bought my 300D yesterday and I'm able to adjust my built in flash plus/minus 2. I'm just wondering if i'm not understanding something...

john
John, what you're able to adjust is not the flash exposure compensation, but the sensor exposure compensation. FEC is the ability to control the amount of flash output rather than letting the camera decide it for you. Not possible with the built in flash or external flashes (except the 550EX).

The +/- ev setting that you're talking about will under/over expose your image by the amount that you set in relation to the exposure settings that the camera meter chooses. For instance, suppose you are shooting a scene that has snow in it. Since the meter will want to expose that snow to 18% gray tones, you would increase the exposure by 1 or 2 stops with the +/- ev button so that the snow came out white rather than neutral gray. The camera's meter is only so smart and sometimes the photographer needs to fool it.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 6:29 PM   #5

Ok, I got what you're saying. You can't adjust the flash output. That I understand.....

but...

when someone says that their indoor shots are underexposed why couldn't they just use the ev +/- button? Why all the talk about FEC and the +2/3 hack? Am i missing something?
Old Dec 19, 2003, 9:08 AM   #6
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Saginaw
but...

when someone says that their indoor shots are underexposed why couldn't they just use the ev +/- button? Why all the talk about FEC and the +2/3 hack? Am i missing something?
You could use the EV +/- for indoor shots as long as the flash is not used! The EV compensation does not work for flash which have a separate setting (ie FEC) which is accessible on the 10D itself... but only through a hack on the Digital Rebel. :evil:

The best way to circumvent this deficiency is to use FEL (Flash Exposure Lock) which is available on the 300D and works the same way as a normal exposure lock, but when the flash is enabled. This is also more predictable since only the central area is metered instead of the EV being coupled to the AF points which could vary over all the place depending on where the AF point selected is located in relation to the background!

To underexposed aim @ a brighter area and do an FEL, and to overexposed aim @ a darker area and again do another FEL using the central area... Trust me the 10D tend to overexpose too with the 550EX if one does not use FEL! This is a known shortcoming of the Canon flash system which judge the scene brightness based on the focus points instead of integrating the distance info as reported by the lenses as on the Nikon or Minolta system. :P
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2003, 11:00 AM   #7

NHL has nailed it well. You MUST pay attention to your focus point. I have found that using the camera in M mode provides the best indoor flash shots because you're using center weight average metering and you can control both your flash speed and your aperature (to a limit). Av mode works fine outdoors where you're looking for fill flash. I haven't come across a situation where Tv mode comes in handy. I can't comment on the basic modes as I've never used them.
Old Dec 19, 2003, 3:16 PM   #8

Ok... I must have been chugging to much Nyquil yesterday!

I now completely understand what is going on.... while I was fiddling with +/- EV button and trying to see if it did change anything... and I thought it was... but then the Nyquil fog cleared today and I realize that I probably was focusing at the EXACT same spot between picture... hence to my clouded way of thinking I thought I was actually doing something with the +/-... which in fact I was not.. doah... sorry for all the trouble...

thanks!
john
Old Dec 19, 2003, 7:28 PM   #9

No problem! We're all here to learn and help each other, aren't we?